1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSX-R 1000 L7 first riding impressions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Feb 6, 2017.

1. That is an easy way to pass Euro IV emissions, without making the motor weaker. Put a bigass exhaust on it, and limit the RPMs (or the RPM at which the bike makes peak power).

The noise and emissions tests are performed at 50% of peak HP RPM. So if the unrestricted bike is capable of making 190hp at 14,500RPm...then just build restrictions into the ECU so off the assembly line it makes 170hp at 13,000RPM...then the butterflies close and power falls off.

Now instead of noise/emissions testing being done at 7,250RPM, it is done at 6,000RPM...where it can pass.

Then the consumer throws on a different exhaust, flashes the ECU, and boom...picks up 20hp.

Companies have been doing that for years. I remember when I had to do the "jumper mod" on my 2007 ZX6R to trick the ECU into an unrestricted mode, which immediately made it gain 6-8hp (for about $0.75 worth of wire).

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

My last 2 bikes did not leave the dealership with the stock exhaust. I think I still have the stock setup for my Hyper in the attic somewhere.

cajun636 likes this.
  3. Better adding a huge pipe than neutering the engine. One of the reasonbikes come pretty lean as well.

pscook likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

With that thinking I wish the new Honda had two of these big ass suzuki mufflers on it.

5. Right and a wrong way to skin a cat.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This is 19 or 20 year old Michael Gilbert, riding one over in Phillip Island. He is a WERA racer, MotoAmerica racer, and works as a journalist in the motorcycle industry.

[​IMG]

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

8. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

hope its good because it will only get BNG for the next 10 years

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'll kick your ass.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. vizsladog

LOL!!!

Im actually a little closer now. Belleview

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fine.

[​IMG]

TurboBlew, bleacht and BigBird like this.
  12. vizsladog

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You need to be more creative with these maps. Can't you route using bicycle, train, or public transportation, and walking? Also, be sure to plan in rest stops. If it's a big boy you might need to get some lunch so you have energy for the whooping. If it's a particularly heinous offense, you should plan a stop at the Home Depot for a duct tape and a shovel.

vizsladog likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um you see all them Lakes? Stocked with gators! :D

vizsladog likes this.
  16. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Michael Gilbert works for Sport Rider, I believe.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Getting pretty good at coloring inside the lines.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think it is Sport Rider or Motorcyclist. He took over Bradley Adams position.

19. caferace

caferace No.

...and the mildly amusing thing is, do the same as a carmaker and you get fined billions of dollars. :D

-jim

p.s... Broome. You pay too much for wire.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool for him!

Boman Forklift likes this.