1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GS550ES 1983 in V5?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yankee Bravo, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Yankee Bravo

Yankee Bravo Well-Known Member

Is the 1983 Suzuki GS550ES eligible for V5? Given all the pre-86 exemptions and the presence of the GS750, it seems it would be. Otherwise, it is a V6-Lwt.

Also, what about this bike in Clubman? Rules state : "Up to 570cc 4-stroke air-cooled 4 valve per cylinder multis".
    The GS 550 actually displaces 572.6cc.... Seems a very tiny allowance to let it into Clubman.

If these are all true, it could run D, F2, Clubman, V5 and bump up to V6-Lwt... (I have a line on a decent GS550 and am considering it to get back riding, then onto the track.) Not sure about actual competitiveness of this bike, but as a track newbie, it won't especially matter... Grattan would be the home track. Thoughts and comments about this bike in any of the above classes please...

Ken

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

aside from the goofball two carb set up.....I started racing on one. Also, Katana 600 front end bolts right up, and one small spacer allows Katana rear rim to be used, bingo....17" rims.

Not sure if the 16 valve aspect makes a difference on classification.

3. Yankee Bravo

Interesting, what year Katana did you use for the transplant? Please describe use of spacer to make Kat rear rim fit... (sorry for the nexb questions...)

thanks!

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

88-97 front end and front and rear wheel.

had to machine a spacer for the rear, for the life of me I can't exactly remember where it went now. I know it was on the left side and I believe between the cush/hub and the inside of the swingarm. One other thing, have to take some material off the inside of the brake caliper stabilizer mount to clear the edge of the wider tire.

Was a pretty easy swap as I recall.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=128434&highlight=GS+550+ES

5. Yankee Bravo

Thanks! I used to have a GS550e way back in the day, but got rid of it long ago... I even had a Kerker pipe on it. Anyone know if a 4-1 pipe is still made for this bike?

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

NOPE!....those things are like gold. Start ebaying and craigslisting now.

good luck:up:

7. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

You know? Stupid question time...Supertrapp/Kerker literally had racks and racks of jigs for every pipe they ever made in a factory up on the outskirts of Cleveland back in the 90's...Those things must still exist...What ever happened to all that stuff?

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

who knows? I tried like hell to find new one pipes and had to look high and low to get the used ones I had.

I was thrilled to find out I could still get a Stage 3 jet kit from Dyno Jet for those dumbass carbs.

9. Chumbucket

It's just one of those things that rattles through my little pea brain in this interminable hell we call Winter/the off season...Somebody -- there's always that, "Somebody," the guy with talent, a welder, a little resourcefulness, some raw materials -- could set up a rather nice little cottage industry cranking out retro-pipes with those jigs...They have to be laying around in a warehouse somewhere, the operation was big but it wasn't that big...

10. bus

bus Monkey with a football

What did mom tell you about thinking too much? You're going to hurt yourself again.

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

12. Chumbucket

Shudup you...Your mom is a saint, don't drag her into this...