1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GS vs EX

Discussion in 'General' started by d_alexand, Jul 26, 2002.

1. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Is there a lot of differences between the older and newer EX's and GS's? I'm guessing parts are probably more plentiful for the EX's, but what are some of the pros and cons when comparing the two? I'm just exploring my options for a cheap clubman legal bike.

I don't want this to start a bashing contest like the never ending 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thread :D , I'm just looking for the facts.

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

What do you think is going to happen?! Of course all the retarded malcontent GS owners are going to say how great their piece of crap GS's are.

And all of us cool ass, law-abiding, red-blooded, apple-pie eating, Pledge-of-Allegiance-saying, hard-working, non-draft dodging, never-cheat-on-our-taxes, upright EX (former and current) owners will have to blast them back into their lowly social position. :D

3. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

You suck Clark!

GS is down on power but has a better chassis. Cheap to buy, cheap to race, cheap to crash. Parts are plentiful. The GS market is pretty soft right now and you can get a race ready bike for $1000.

EX's are up on power but the chassis aren't so great. Usually cost a little more to buy, race, and crash than a GS.

Given equal riders and stock motors, the EX's power will usually beat out the handling of the GS.

The rules allow for a fair amount of motor building for both. Your only limit will be how much you want to spend. I think the GS can be built up cheaper than the EX, but the EX can get more total hp.

Consider that a GS450 regularly wins or gets second place in Clubman expert in the North Central.

The GS has made very minor changes from the original 1989 model year, none to the chassis or motor. The EX's first came out with 16" wheels...ick. Avoid that model year of the EX.

Both are good, competent lightweight racers and both still have a following in the paddock.

My preference is for a GS.

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Sing along in your best Lennon voice

" All we are saying, Is give GS's a chance "

I raced a Ex for 3 years, its faster, weighs more, My 450 twin shock handles better but not by much & only because it weighs less, I'm much faster now on the GS but thats only because I have a few more laps under my belt.

Oh, and 2 strokes suck...:D

5. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

re:

So what kinda realistic horsepower numbers can be expected from the GS and EX (stock and after the usual mods)?

6. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Re: Re: GS vs EX

Hey! I resemble that remark! :p

Steve YOU SUCK! :D

meanwhile...

Stock a GS puts out around 39~42 HP. Pipe, filter, and jetting will yeild 45ish. From there the money's the limit up to about 60 hp or so where you reach grenade range...

7. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Or consider something completely different...

Be brave - race an MZ Sorpion!!

Step out on a limb and dare to be different. Join our small cadre of racers willing to buck all odds by running a bastard bike from an unknown company, purely for the sport of it! Just think - 45 hp, 400 lbs of butt-thumping, neck-snapping, elbow-dragging fun...

8. rmahr137

rmahr137 Member

Get an EX with upgraded suspension, like one with an F2 front end and swingarm.

Then you have the handling and the motor. The EX definately has the motor over the GS.

I raced a GS for a couple of years, and my brother raced an EX. It torqued me off when I passed him in the turns and then he just came back on the straight.

Rod

9. Joss

Joss F3 Dabbler

There are also the intangibles to consider. We GS riders have the deeply experienced and helpful GSPosse to support us. This is complete with motto:"Potentia Corrumpo" (Power Corrupts)

I mean... EX Posse doesn't even sound right. :Puke:

Plus there are the free keg parties after the races and the umbrella girls.....

10. James#306

It's not so much the suspension that sucks on the EX, its that wet noodle frame between 'em...

Hey Mongo!
    Since you are letting all them scary Ducatis and Hawks into clubman, why not allow parrallel twins to have custom/hybrid frames ala the singles?
    That way GX 500s and ANDs would have someplace to play?

11. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

I didn't mind when the frame wound up like a rubber band as much as I did when it unwound...

SPROOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

That always made the carousel at Summit exciting. :)

And I can't beleive you GS guys take riding the loser bike in this discussion so seriously. :D

12. Shane417

Shane417 I Need A Job!!!!

Ok.....Somebody needs to fill me in on this!!! :D

13. James#306

Ah.... the mystic of the GS posse... ;)

Maybe you are missing something, eh?

14. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Actually, the sweet thing is that we don't take it seriously. That's why we have so damn much fun! :D

Power to the Posse! :cool:

15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Bottom line falls to what you are going to run it in.

If you want to run only clubman or V-5, The Ex is a good way to go. If you want to help the handling of the EX, replace the front motor mount rubber/steel inserts with solid alloy units. The local machine shop will be able to fix you up.

If I had only those classes & a Gs-500 or an EX to choose from, even I, a member of the GS faithful would choose a EX.

However, I choose the twin shock GS-450 because not only can I make as much power as any GS500 if I spend enough money. I get to ride it in V4 which requires twin shocks. Plus you can still race in V5 & clubman.

What a country...:D

4 Strokes rule...

16. EMathy

Heathen! And to think we've let you ride our pristine GS Posse endurance moto. :p :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  17. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you guys need to put the pit bikes away and race something real. :eek:

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Get an RZ350. 4-strokes suck. :D

19. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Mr. Clark,

I see by your smiley that you are just having fun with us GS racers, but the original question was asked in seriousness by someone who needs information and racing a bike in any class at any level is still serious business to the participants.

To address the community as a whole, yes we GS racers have a sense of humor but I don't understand the general attitude that just because we are on a GS that means we are less than serious racers. If I can get in front of an SV and stay in front of an SV for 30 minutes, does that make the person on the SV less of a racer? If I can follow a 600 (granted it was an older 600) for the last 15 minutes of my stint, does that make him any less of a racer? My team and I have worked pretty damn hard to keep our GS running races and I don't think it's joke.

Mr. Wilson,

Piss up a rope, f#*kstick :eek:

20. EMathy

Greg, put down the coffee and the axe handle!! :eek:

Don't mind my teammate, he can get a little cranky sometimes. :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002