1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom gearing/speedometer

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Where does the Grom speedometer pick up from? Is it accurate all the time, or affected by gearing?

I’m trying to figure out if I can trust the speedometer or not on the street.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can't trust any speedo on the street.

track wagon likes this.
  3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

5. True. I am just looking for a ballpark figure, within 5-10mph or so.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

GPS.

Actually I take back the all of em suck comment, the Ducatis have been pretty spot on. Most others read 10% high.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I would pay good money to see the Johnson City police chasing you on the Grom. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Anybody know how to figure how much?

FWIW - I am +2f / -2r from stock, and in 4th gear at 7000rpm I am reading 60mph.

I know down in the front and up in the rear makes you read a lot faster than you are actually going. I assume going up 2 teeth in the front and down 2 teeth in the rear would make it read slower than I’m actually going, right?

9. Agreed. I have a Garmin on the Multi and I was surprised at how the speedometer and GPS will be damn near identical.

10. :crackup:

It is amusing blowing past people on a littleass bike. :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just take the garmin on the grom for a short spin and do the math.

12. But that takes effort. It’s easier to just beeboogle that shit. :D

Actually, I was playing on The Grom for a few hours earlier, I shoulda thought about that.

I have nowhere to mount it though. I reckon I could start a “trip” with it in my pocket, then reach a particular top speed (Speedo), then take the Garmin out and compare it to the top speed of the trip.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ram Mounts. You need to pimp the Grom out with one anyway and need to be able to move the GPS back and forth. If you want a good phone mount go Rockform, they'll work with the RAM too.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

so you're saying the R6 i saw on Craigslist won't do 215 mph ?

:D

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  15. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Here is a calculator that might give you the answers you're looking for.

https://www.12oclocklabs.com/sdrd_calc.php

16. Well. Shit.

I reckon pimping The Grom is the only viable option. :D

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Buy an eBay garmin watch and strap it to the bars. I have only taken cycling GPS readings into the low 50’s, but i see no reason it wouldn’t remain accurate to highway speeds.

Only disadvantage is that you will have to start an “activity” every ride, but my battery lasts like 5 days without any activities and like 20 hours when tracking GPS.

18. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

RAM makes an awesome little quick clamp mount for the handlebar.

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Can't you just have someone ride next to you or behind you in a car? Close enough.

20. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Find a cop and ask him to run a radar on you:blart: