1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg White calling the races???

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Apr 27, 2008.

1. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Huh???

2. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

So in the ad box or whatever you call it at the top of the web page it says that he joins SPEED on April 20 and 27 as the pit reporter. Is his gig up after that? Does Greg go back to the pits now? Does Ralph show back up? I think Greg is doing a fine job.

3. ceej

ceej Active Member

Eurosport covers bike racing 10x better than speed. We don't have to look at silly graphics or see the riders awkwardly introduce themselves. Just race coverage, and was less than Speed's obligatory 6 commercial breaks per race.

I like Moody and Ryder a lot, but listening to Mamola makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Great bike rider, horrible interviewer/commentator.

4. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Watching the FX race and I want to punch the TV watching this. Greg White drinking game every time he says side by side when the riders are not, take a drink, you'll be passed out in 5 minutes.

Quality level would have improved 9000X if they would have gone to the Corona pits and grabbed a particular crew member.

5. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Ya know, this is not directed at you, or anyone in particular, but I always see people ranting about how Freddie does that, and I just don't see what the problem is. I mean, to me it sounds like he's just trying to use his experiences to help viewers who might not know what's up. To me, he doesn't sound like he's just blowing his own horn just to hear it.

- Before someone accuses me of being a "Freddie fan", I have to say that back in the days when he was doing well racing, I was _not_ really a fan. Back then I always liked his main rivals like Kenny Roberts (sr) and Eddie Lawson.

Anyway, my point is that to me, although he brings up his racing experiences frequently, it just doesn't sound to me like he's just bragging, so it doesn't bother me.

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

I like him,..... but Id rather him be on the grid.. that new dood is a tool...... He askes the worst questions ever....
    At least GW has been around so long he knows all the racers and has a better raport with them to ask questions...

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Who would that be? pics?

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It's commonly done for color commentators, doesn't bother me either.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I don't think he is either. He usually said the shit as a response to his booth partner bringing it up. He rarely brought it up on his on from what I remember.

But he has been biased to a couple of teams when speaking. Can't really argue that one. The evidence is on video.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, I am watching Fontana now, and I think Greg White is doing a great job.

On the other hand, Freddie just explained forks internals and I swear I had a Paula Abdul flashback! It's like listening to her describe an American Idol performance. I can understand each word, but the whole sentence makes no sense.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

So he explains suspension like 99.9% of the former World Champions. What's your point? :D

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I would say to give Brice some time on his Speed gig. I am sure with practice he may get better at the whole grid reporter thing, also give him time to get a little repoire with the racers the way Greg probably had to when he first started. Greg is doing a great job but Freddie, man maybe color commentary, but he really should leave the play by play to someone else. IMHO for what it is worth.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I remember Greg's first announcing job at Talladega. He's gotten a lot better with practice too.

14. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

Isn't play by play and color pretty much the same thing?

15. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

I personally liked Greg commenting...there were times you could almost hear Freddie's teeth grinding due to being cut off about being a 3 time champion

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No. Play by play=Mladin and Spies come out of the last turn wheel to wheel. Color=And those look like Durrani wheels. Back when I was racing we didn't have Durrani wheels.

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I liked Greg White and Freddie in the booth.

Sure Brice stumbled a bit, but c'mon, you try asking Ben Bostrom a question and see if you get something intelligible out of him.

18. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Are we forgeting how Bad ass Jason Pridmore was in the booth?? He never once said the word "key" or said how many world championships he's won.

G-dub is doin ok.......just the grid guy needs something.......anything.

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Thats because he hasn't won any :D

20. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Wasn't Jason on the team that won the World Endurance Championship a few years ago?