1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatest music album of all time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Mar 6, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Queen....A Night at the Opera.

Tom Petty....Damn the Torpedoes.

2. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Tool, "Aenima" spans all moods for me. Best of the best all around, IMO. "46 and 2" and "Hooker With a Penis" are top notch.

The Mars Volta's "De-Loused in the Comatorium" is a close second, though it takes concentration to appreciate for me, like a cross between PF's "Animals" and Miles Davis Live at Newport 1958. Definitely an acquired taste but a musical masterpiece. Also, Flea!

3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I like Zubin Mehta if I want over emotive Mahler, Boulez if I want to hear every nuance and MTT or Bernie if I want both.

But if I really want my dick knocked in the dirt?: Eugene Ormandy/Philly playing Deryk Cooke's performing version of M10.

On a side note, after having retired 2 years ago, my orchestra called me last night to come in and play Mahler 1 on the 30th! SO stoked, but my chops are atrophied. Time to hit the woodshed!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    beac83 likes this.
  4. motoboy

Maybe try the brass quintet arrangement of the Urlicht from M2? The Chicago Brass has done it and it's cheap on amazon. It takes the best four minutes of music ever written and replaces the human soloist with a trumpet.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Since it was already brought up......I have the collection of Beethoven's 9 symphonies on Duetsch Gramophone by Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. I rarely play them in order to keep them in good condition. Imagine my dismay when I found my son using one of them for scratching when he was playing at being a DJ. My #6 Pastorale is toast! :mad:

6. motoboy

Juvie!!!!

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The Doors.....any of 'em.

Sprinky and OGs750 like this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger would get my nod as an album I can throw on, listen through without skipping a track.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Besides many already listed here, Ive listened to this one from start to finish more times than I could count and you probably have never heard of it.
    Widespread Panic - Space Wrangler
    Give it a try, classic southern jam

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You sir, may need an intervention.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Next thing you will be dissin Molly Hatchet and 38 Special.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, it's just too subjective. I'd throw albums by Helmet, The Descendents, Dinosaur Jr and Black Flag on my list (still can't say just one is the GOAT) but would laugh at the thought anything by the Doors being included.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I worked for .38 Special a long time ago. You ever see them in concert? Great band!

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Garth Brooks has put out a lot of solid albums. May not be everyone's choice of music, but he is a top notch musician.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll come clean. I saw .38 special live.

Twice.

and they did not suck by any means.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I may have attended, not sure about seeing.:D

17. Sabre699

Kiss it Dave. :D

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just never "got" them. Yeah, a tune here or there but to sit and try and listen to the entire album had me crawling out of my skin.
    You'd think I'd be a Velvet Underground fan but they fall under the same category as the Doors.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Did you ever work in Atlanta with them? They came to a bar I was working at Downtown and the lead singer got pissed we wouldn't let his 15 year old Girlfriend in..LOL... I shit you not.... This was in like 94-95 or so.

20. Sabre699

Hash Dave.....lots of hash. (not Hormel's) ;)