1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greanpeace protests Arctic drilling

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by TXFZ1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Its true, energy companies hate spills. They bring:
    Bad PR
    Fines
    Cleanup costs
    Equipment downtime

Do I think they sit and fret about the environment? Not beyond the cost to their bottom line.

As far as how we replace oil....calling MR516 to the podium! :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that's easy, you're wrong.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't forget the cars that run on water!

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So a one off concept car :crackup: That is like saying Honda has 250HP 1000's because of motogp bikes. Not to mention that the link quotes a promise to have a production version by 2013 :Poke:

Of course now let's take the concept and make it mass production. Oh and capable of meeting safety requirements. Hmm still probably cost as much as a @#$%# house.

Though it puzzles me why they need ceramic brakes... the thing sounds wimpy enough that they could just have you go all fred flintstone and drag your feet.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, pony up big bucks and you can have one of those VWs.

I'm really surprised it doesn't have some form of a KERs system.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You may not be in the know, not entirely. The industry may have bad players but generally speaking some companies put a lot of stock in social and environmental awareness.

They often provide incentive programs to contractors to promote compliance. It is part of taking their social license seriously.

7. flamed03r1

flamed03r1 Well-Known Member

Just a few things:

For those of you that think that the oil companies get to the bottom of their incidents and find the root causes without "blame", Your wrong. If you would like to prove this wrong, please explain why repeat occurrences continue to happen. Trust me, the message that you receive on the floor is different than what is discussed at the board meetings. It is simply business and cost vs reward has to be considered with any initiative. Safety included.

I'm not saying that they are not serious about safety but the statistics simply do not match what you're claiming. Take a look at the IADC stats (which are lagging) over the past 30 years and you will see what I am talking about.

For supporters of wind; you do realize that the most in depth studies reveal that it currently takes more energy to construct and maintain the wind mills than they produce over a life time don't you? This study was conducted after Holland changed their laws and required a certain % of energy to come from wind. All of those wind mills require subsidies.

And for Christ sake, please stop saying the government should invest in any of this new technology. That is for the market to determine, what the government needs to do is stay the hell out of it. Energy is already too political. The government can and probably is just as much if not more to blame for the lack of progress with alternative sources of energy.

And even if someone came up with the best option available, it could not be rushed into the market without causing a total collapse of world economies.

And believe it or not, oil companies do have a lot of reason to invest in alternative energy sources, it's not like we have a way of making more of the black stuff. That is just simple business logic.

And for those of you that think oil companies are only bad...I say that you are absolutely clueless.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh come the F@ck on, you're trying to spin the oil companies into being puppy loving good guys who love long walks on the beach and unicorns. They are businesses and run to maximize their profits. They aren't baby eating satans but they aren't run by moonbeam and the rest of the flower people. :D

9. flamed03r1

I did:confused: However, I'm an oil guy and I can appreciate a long walk on a beach :D

Yep, and they are businesses that have smaller profit margins than many of the companies that I would suspect some people on the forum blindly support. And many of those companies do very little for the communities that they work in. Especially when compared to what the oil companies have done and continue to do.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I know that. :D

11. sheepofblue

And neither is the great protector government. Do you remember when Obama turned away the foreign boom ships in the gulf and failed to use all US ones available. Maybe instead of maximizing profits they were maximizing chaos in order to be granted more power. :beer:

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ya think?

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

It cracks me up when people try to apply noble attributes to companies and organizations. Corporations are trying to make more money. Greenpeace and similar organizations are trying to acquire more power and influence. None are really better than the other.

14. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

Word. Matrix.

15. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

I thot the Honda something made water as the byproduct?

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I can say much more. I am currently active in a project. :)

17. sheepofblue

Ya I know the king has a fine suit and the tingle up my leg is coming soon :Pop:

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The greenpeace dopes that decided to f@ck with the russians are really f@cked now. The russians towed their boat into harbor and the russian fbi equivalent (didn't catch the actual name) are investigating charges of piracy.

Amensty International, save us! Obama save us! Gay whales, save us!

19. flamed03r1

:crackup:

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

They're going to get multi decade (at minimum) terms in some lovely Siberian prison camp. Maybe they'll survive it, but I doubt that.

Hopefully they enjoy the artistry of the eyes they get tattooed on their asses.

Later retards, your lives are over!