1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graves slip-ons that remove catalytic converter?

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Doing a new build right now on a 2018 ZX-6R. I see that Graves offers a slip-on that removes the catalytic converter (https://www.gravesport.com/products/graves-motorsports-zx6r-zx636-slip-on-exhaust.html)

Every other manufacturer's slip-on (at least that I can find) retains the catalytic converter.

So, what's the catch? What are the advantages of a full system versus the Graves slip-on? I've always gone with a full system for weight savings alone, but I have heard that some bikes have restrictive stock headers and benefit from new plumbing.

Ultimately, do I go with the Graves slip-on, or do I at least double the price and go with a traditional full system?

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

The actual cat is inside the headers on the Zx6r, what the slip on removes is the pre-chamber box that is in between the headers and pipe itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenhound386 likes this.
  3. Greenhound386

Oh, interesting! So a full system will shed more weight (albeit not a ton), and it will have some other performance advantages over the Graves slip-on?

I'm having a hard time finding a good looking full system for this bike. I'd like form AND function.

4. Shervin Motorcycle Engineering

5. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Yes it will...just in case you weren’t aware 09+ systems will fit that bike as well. I removed the cat from my oem headers (as a lot of us do) bought an aftermarket link pipe to eliminate the pre muffler and went with Leo Vince slip on and it looks/sounds pretty sweet if you ask me. I like the look of the shortys too but they are way too loud...

Leo Vince makes a nice full system for your bike...that would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Is this a race bike? If so, just get the full system. Any screwing around now with something else is just wasting time and $$ cuz u know u’ll buy a full system eventually.

7. Greenhound386

Is the cat removal from the stock headers pretty self-explanatory, and can it be done with normal / common tools? I am mechanically ignorant.

It is. Bike has 19 miles on it and will be broken in at Buttonwillow this weekend.

The answer I was hoping for was, "The Graves slip-on is only 1lb heavier than going with a full system, and the stock Kawasaki headers do not restrict performance". In other words, I was hoping I could save some money by doing the Graves slip-on at a nominal (if not inconsequential) performance disparity versus a full system. Now that I've learned that the catalytic converter is built into the stock headers, that changes things. I'm leaning towards the full system, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a solid economical alternative.

8. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Lol I used to be too...YouTube has shown me the way to save $. Zx6r.com has a thread on removing the cats with pics. Yes I said cats as there are two levels of them. I used a drill, chisel and hammer, basically you smash the thin metal layers which make up the cat and then turn the headers over and dump the pieces out. You have to remove the headers from the bike to do this. I bought an extra set on eBay to be safe and I didn't need it. Go look at that thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. All in all took me about 45 mins to do it.

9. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Found this thought you might be interested...guy selling de-catted headers off 2017 for $50
    https://www.zx6r.com/classifieds/11...double-bubble-screen-exhaust-hanger-more.html

Greenhound386 likes this.
  10. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Get a proper full exhaust system and fuel management and head to the dyno. You have a nice new bike, don't cut corners. "Smash", "chisel", etc... are all words I wouldn't use in relation to proper race bike assembly (or at all for that matter). Leave that for the youtubers. If you're strapped for cash try and find good used bits which pop up here all the time.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

12. Greenhound386

Good advice. Not a money issue (or else I wouldnt't have bought new). My original issue was more of a question about economy of scale. I don't see a full Graves system for my bike, and I was wondering why. I thought maybe Graves' slip-on yielded the same (or similar) advantages of a full system for a fraction of the cost.