1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grattan or Gingerman?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by TD137, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Which is more fun? I'm planning my schedule for '08. I'm coming from Indiana so Grattan is just a little further to drive.

2. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

3. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I like Gingerman better, but it's nowhere newar as fast of a track

4. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Is Grattan the more technical of the two? I've heard one of them was a tough track to learn.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Grattan is technical track and will teach you te be much a much faster rider as your exposed to many more challengers, blind turns, off camber turns, high speed corners, sweepers, etc... Plus they run it both ways.

Gingerman is a fun track. Turn one is hairy at the start, and lots of great places to pass if you are good on the brakes. Many short straights.

6. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Grattan is tougher to nail down. It had a partial re-pave this past Fall. It's layout has elevation changes and turns of all types (off camber, banked, downhill, decreasing radius, blind, sweeping, high speed and the dreaded divot at the apex). The bathroom is somewhere between third world country and dreaded gas station.

Gingerman is flat, fun and tricky. Aside from the 2 joining strips that run the whole track in the direction of travel, it seems to have 13 decreasing radius turns covering the 12 turns of the track:D The amenities are supreme. The snack shop, gift/coffee shop, showers and bathrooms & nearby South Haven as a place to hang later.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  7. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Where from IN are you from. I'm in South Bend here. I plan on being at Gingerman in mid June with STT. If your close enough they run Test and Tune on Wednesday's and allow bikes. Not bad for $60

8. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Man I spent the 1st 18 years of my life in SB and Niles, couldn't get out of there fast enough! :D

9. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I know exactly what your saying. I've got a pretty good setup for now, so I'll stay a while. Always looking though.

10. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I'm near Indy. Test and Tune would be great but I don't think I can swing that without taking vacation. I'm planning on hitting both tracks this summer but if I have to pick just one, I'm going to go with Grattan.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'm right on the border but considering still running the NC asopposed to the North Central Region. Grattan is a lot of fun. Nothing like getting both tires off the ground..

12. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

Grattan

13. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

If you can ride fast at Grattan you can ride anywhere. Then there is the Grattan Bar and Grill for fine dining and mingling with the locals, and don't worry, it only looks expensive.

14. dach4676

dach4676 Well-Known Member

I dont really like gingerman as much, its too slow that I couldnt get into the groove of things, plus those two seams suck. Personally I would just go 4 hours south and ride Mid-Ohio. But between the two, I would go with grattan.

15. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

And has the biggest, cleanest bathroom in the county!!

16. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:crackup: since when does it look expensive? I might make a trip to grattan this year, which may improve the dining options...

17. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I'm planning a Grattan day with Monte and the STT gang. If all else goes well, I'll be hitting Road America, Mid-Ohio, and Barber too.