1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grabby 2004/5 GSXR 600 Clutch?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 12pointRacing, Sep 7, 2005.

1. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

Anyone else having problems with a grabby 2004/5 GSXR 600 clutch??

I get about 2 weekends out of a new clutch before it turns into a on-off/jumpy/grabby pain in the rear. I replaced both the steels and the frictions and the problem went away - but it came back after 6-10 hard starts...

Is this a common problem? Anyway to make it more linear without replacing the entire stack again?

(yes, i have adjusted the clutch at the push rod per the manual, and I have never had problems with Yamaha R6 clutches even though they are crap)

2. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had this problem, he seemed to think that its the clutch pack running too dry of oil . As a bandaid fix he was leaving the bike leant over to the right with the clutch held in ( cable tie or similar) to get more oil in there. He thought it helped a bit.

3. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

Are you sure you are putting the steel plates in correctly, flat side out? this can make a big difference in how the clutch engages. Also if the basket and or hub are grooved it will cause the same problem. If the groves are minor you can clean them up with a file but if they are too deep you will need to replace the hub/basket.

4. 12pointRacing

flat side happens to be out, but I though the more important thing was to have all the plates facing the same direction?

I cleaned up the hub pretty well after the last install as this was a common problem on my dry-clutch ducatis, but that is always a possibility...

At this point I may have to go back to oiling the clutch before every start like I used to have to do on my old R6s.

5. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

has the clutch nut been adjusted on the left hand side of the bike? there is a little rubber cover on the left engine side.if you pull that littlepiece of rubber off there is a little nut around a small flat head, threaded bolt. loosen the nut and screw the flat head all the way to the right (clockwise) tight.while still holding the nut. once you have the flat head turned to the right all the way....back it back out a quarter of a turn.(counterclockwise). then tighten down the nut and that might be a fix. make sure you don't let either of the above mentioned parts spin without holding the other on. that way youcan make sure the flat head is adjusted correctly.:beer:

6. 12pointRacing

Yup - that is the adjustment I was referring to, and I did it per the manual.