1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS on a plane

Discussion in 'General' started by heavy penny, Jan 27, 2008.

1. heavy penny

heavy penny I like to make slide

Will it work?

Will the guy next to me try to bash my head in because he thinks it will cause interference and bring the plane down?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Would it work? Definitely. We (general aviation pilots) were flying with GPS years before anybody ever put one in a car.

Will someone bash your head in? Possible.

3. UalRamper

UalRamper 1krr Rider

i do it all the time just for shits and giggles

its fun to see your speed and stuff

4. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Pre-911 I was holding my Garmin III next to a window to get signal and the FA went straight to the pilot who then sent the 3rd pilot to come back and ask me to stop doing it. Was just freaking them out.
    As long as you're inside the globe of sats and can see at least 2 you'll get a reading.

I always thought altitude on GPS was neat. It's simply finding your point inside the sphere made by the sats and then calculating your distance from what the GPS knows to be mean sea level.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Will GPS work on a treadmill?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

not on a windy day.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, it will work. fun to show someone that you have a top speed of 500 MPH :D

8. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

How come sometimes I pick up my Garmin and it has a top speed of 170+mph. Is that how fast it was going when it fell of the dash?

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Not unless your '87 carrolla will do 170!:D

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've used mine quite a bit on flights. yeah people will look at you a bit funny but everyone that travels a lot is accustom to seeing them on the dash of rental cars that they know what's going on.

usually funny when people check your max speed later on when you are riding your bike and it shows 485mph. :)

I always used it to get an idea of where we were and at night to figure out what cities I was looking at with the lights below.

11. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I couldn't get mine to work on my flight last week but I was sitting in the middle of the plane. Which pissed me off because I have altitude on mine.
    And it shouldn't do anything to mess with the instruments. They don't emit shit.
    Now I have to go post this somewhere else.

12. I have used my Microsoft Streets & Trips on the plane. Pretty cool!

13. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

It took mine a while to fix on my current position, but it worked just fine. And tell the busy-body it's a receiver and doesn't transmit a thing. No interference.

14. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

Can i get some advice on what GPS unit to buy ? I want to click on a property line stake & then click on another stake 3,000 feet away , then be able to determine the straight line between them to put up fence ( hills & woods ) . No squabbles with the ajoining property owners & + or - 10' is ok . i will never use the GPS for anything else so i dont want to overspend or buy something that confuses me .
    thanks , Rodger

15. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

16. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

oh and GPS use on commercial flights is prohibted by the FAA.

Yeah I know it is a reciever but it is their rules we have to live by post 9/11

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Panther, how in the world would a person know? It wouldn't change.

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now, if you dropped it out of a plane it might reach 170 mph.:)

19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I was on a Delta flight in November, and it had GPS on the drop down movie screen above your head... Pretty cool, altitude, air speed, lat / long., temperature, miles flown, and a map with a "you are here" plane icon.

Then they turned it off and showed that Fucking Mr. Bean movie.... :down:

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

They had that before the commercial airliners had GPS. "Airshow" was slaved off of the flight management computers. ;)