1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPR V4 issue question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Quick6RR, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Just bought a new track bike that came with a very used GPR V4. The unit wasn’t damping properly, had little to no resistance though all the settings, and caused the bike to have this rhythmic sway from left to right, almost like it wanted to fall over when riding. I could also hear the fluid moving around inside the unit when I turned the bars (GPR Said this was due to a bad seal that was allowing air inside the unit). When I removed the unit the swaying stopped, so problem solved there.

I sent the unit off to GPR to be serviced and just got it back. Got it back on the bike and it’s doing the same exact thing, still causing the sway and I can easily move the bars from left to right at full stiffness (setting 20). I’ve messaged GPR staff about the unit again and have no issues with them at all.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences with a GPR unit?

also at this point should I just grab a brand new unit or try to salvage this one again?

Bike is a 13 ZX6R

thanks

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Are u mounting it properly? Make sure to turn the bars side to side before tightening the bolt that holds the arm to the frame. You could even ride a little without that bolt to see if the problem goes away.

Easily turning the bars at full seems wrong. Mine at full was always “damn that’s stiff”. GPR customer service is great. I’d keep calling them with issues.

3. Quick6RR

Yea it’s mounted correctly, but I didn’t move the handlebars before tightening down the bracket arm. Either way though, the unit still has little resistance at 20 clicks. I could barely move my last V4 when it was set to 20.

4. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

5. Quick6RR

6. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

GPR has good customer service. Frustrating, but would suggest sending it back.

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I should have an older GPR for an 06-09 GSXR 600/750. It's in a parts bin in the trailer, i think. The unit itself should fit the bracket for your bike.

I'll sell it cheap-ish....$150 shipped.

But, GPR does have great service so it seems they should be able to remedy the issue. Surely they wouldn't send it back after servicing without testing it first?

8. Quick6RR

I spoke with GPR again today. They were familiar with my particular unit and basically said because it was a titanium unit (which they do not make anymore) they wanted to try to salvage it. Obviously that didn't work out, so they just offered to sent me a brand new one. That's some great customer service lol, I was ready to just pay to have it serviced again but they far exceeded my expectations.

So no one has had an issue like what experienced with the handlebar sway?

9. stangmx13

does the swaying happen if you ride the bike without a damper?

10. Quick6RR

It only happens when this damper is installed. Once I remove it the swaying stops. I checked the mount for the GPR and steering stem and everything was fine. No binding anywhere when I turn the bars. Nothing bent anywhere. Bike is in mint condition.

Love the podcast BTW!

11. stangmx13

that's really weird - seems backwards, especially with the damper not having much damping. im stumped. maybe ask a knowledgeable friend to ride it with and without the damper to see what they feel.

thanks about the podcast!

12. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I would say otherwise...

I sent a damper out to be serviced, due to it leaking. It came back covered in oil with an invoice for the rebuild I paid for. I contacted them (wondering why it was covered in oil after a rebuild) about it and they said it was not serviceable...No email, phone call, nothing. They just charged me for a rebuild and sent it back.

They did give me credit for a new one, but it didn't fit right with my mount, so I wound up getting a mount made and going with a linear ohlins...no issues since.

I also think the new one was leaking oil, as well. I probably still have it on a shelf somewhere....this was in 2017

13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

No business can please everybody no doubt.

14. stangmx13

the only sure way to prevent a GPR from leaking is to buy an Ohlins. ive heard of racers taking brand new spare GPRs to the track just in case. but thats just a bandaid.