1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro video experts....

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 25, 2024.

1. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I've had 2 hero 11 blacks and haven't had any issues... lost one in the lake when I got spit off the jet ski @ 70 mph. :(. I wish I could've seen the footage to see what happened. :crackup:

2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Damn that's frustrating. Mine definitely gets very hot, so I'm assuming it's overheating. I've drilled holes all over the protective case, and have it mounted in the wind on my handlebar (890 duke) and still gets super hot. I've run without a protective case twice and broken the exterior lense immediately both times, and I'm not even sure if that's enough to stop it from over heating. So my last guess was to drop the quality and see if that helps. I bought a brand new one this summer, and had the exact same problems. So disappointing.

3. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Overheating is related to settings being used and environmental conditions. The main thing is to lower the resolution/frame rate. Record at what you need. What you need is determined by what you're going to do with it. If you're just going to FB/IG it or throw it on Youtube, 1080p or 2.7k is your friend. Most people don't have 4k monitors or watch Youtube on a 4k tv.

To help the camera run cooler (this also helps with battery life), turn off all the stuff you don't need:
    • Set the screensaver to a minute.
    • Turn off voice control.
    • Turn off connections until you need it.
    • If you're not going to use the metadata, turn off GPS.
    • If you have a front display, turn that off or change it to just show the info, not the video feed.
    • Use the standard bit rate rather than High.
    Using the camera in a housing definitely exacerbates the camera getting hot. If you're just using the housing for front protection, definitely think about taking a drill to the sides of the housing and use the skeleton backdoor.

Having the camera behind the screen should still allow enough airflow to help with overheating.

Environmental considerations include the ambient temp and being in direct sunlight. Not much you can do about that other than keep it in mind. If it's 100 out and you've got it mounted to a black gas tank or fairing or whatever, that ain't gonna help. If you can, consider keeping it as cool as you can until it's time to go. Consider using QuikCapture to turn the camera on and start recording with a press of the shutter button.

If the camera actually overheats, you'll get a notice on the rear lcd the next time you turn it on. It'll tell you if the battery ran out or if it got too hot.

Glad to help try and diagnose any troubles y 'all are having and having as many details as possible helps.

Wheel Bearing, mpusch and pfhenry like this.
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Just wait until I unload on OneX.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno why you're upset with them but they did have a major computer/internet issue recently that screwed them over for a while. Having dealt with a ransomware attack on our stuff I get that kind of thing messing you up for a while, we got lucky ours was during a lull in racing for us.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Gino230 Browser History:
    Where to find GAU-8 surplus?

How to mount GAU-8 on 737-800?

Where is OneX corporate office?

prm likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There aren't too many situations worse for electronics than an action camera at a moto trackday. The camera had to be built to be tiny, light weight, with low power consumption, and low cost. It has to record 4K+ at good framerates with high dynamic range. And it needs to survive tons of vibration and heat. Thats an impossible tasks. The cameras are just like anything else at the forefront of tech - pick only 2: cheap, low cost, or robust.

ToofPic and code3ryder like this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ha, typo in my last post.

pick only 2: cheap, high performance, robust.

9. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I have a wanna be Go-Pro-cheapo.It works great,and has an on/off remote I have mounted on the tree.
    Any problems I have had has been from San Disk,especially when I was running my old Contour Camera.
    I tried recently to upload a willow springs race,and it took hrs.Then A message popped up from You Tube
    asking for account conformation, in order to download the full race?? Never seen that before?

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If heat is the problem, there are all kinds of flexible, waterless
    chill packs out there that could probably be wrapped around
    the camera. I'm sure you boys are smart enough to rig something
    up, maybe using small bungee cords.

11. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

After numerous corrupted files, random shutoffs and a few videos cut short, I concluded my GoPro was being affected by vibration within the housing.

I installed a couple layers of blue masking tape inside the housing in order to tighten the fitment and everything has been fine so far.

For reference, I've used only the full enclosed housing and it's all attached to the top triple

code3ryder, tecknojoe and stangmx13 like this.
  12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I was not using a housing, just connecting direct to built in adapter. Mount to bike was rubber mounted. My camera would either freeze video, while continuing audio, or I would get some purple stuff on screen before quitting. Two different cameras, multiple SD cards, all on GoPro approved list, multiple batteries both GoPro branded and non branded. They would work fine in the house for extended periods. So, vibration or heat would seem to make sense, but I could never isolate the issue or prevent despite numerous tries.

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Ya, these are the toughest to try and diagnose. Which bike? Were you able to try a different spot on the bike?