1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good track / Bad track?! Ugh!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by oldmonk, Oct 2, 2009.

1. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

So here's my question... I'm located near mid-Ohio, bluegrass, beaverun, VIR, and summit point, but I'm willing to travel south in the near future to try and ride. I keep reading everything bad about all the tracks, like ate 10 bike in turn one, if there's moisture in the air you're going down, eats tires like crazy, and so on. I've only ridden Mid-Ohio and VIR, and it's been awhile since M-O.
    So where to go? Anything good to say about anywhere? I'd like to hear the positives for a change, before I decide not to ride again.:up:
    Thanks, maybe.

2. backMarker01

backMarker01 Well-Known Member

BeaveRun is a good track nothing scary there, Ive heard it is pretty nice in the rain. I rode there with a very slight wet surfave and almost highsided but that was my own fault.
    Summit is another good track but the surface is rough in a couple turns, nothing to worry about there are good lines.

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Most tracks have good traction when wet (not as good as dry of course).

BeaveRun, Nelsons, Nashville, Talladega, Barber, Grattan, GingerMan, Putnam all seem to be "ok" when wet.

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

May be further south than you wanna go, but JenningsGP is a very fun, but technical track! They hold their own open trackdays, so pretty easy to fit your schedule as needed.

Good grip all around, even in the wet. Plenty of run off room. Concrete pit pads, Restrooms w/Showers, etc.

Only negative is that is does wear tires quickly, and a large percentage of that is due to 75-80% is left turns.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at Barber vs Road Atlanta vs VIR vs Summit. I've never been to either of these tracks but will only be able to attend 1 :( I thought I narrowed it down to Barber or RA but VIR looks like a fun one.

6. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Road atlanta is GREAT! Never been to VIR,but have heard nothing but great things. If u have not been to jennings thats a must too.

7. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

Asphalt + turns = fun. That's all you need to know. :D

8. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

BeaveRun is one of my favorites!

9. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Yeah, I really enjoyed VIR (full course) and will go back when I can! The track I'm probably most wondering about right now is CMP. I'm thinking about trying to get there for Nov. dates, weather should still be real good then.....Right?

10. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to ride Barber at least once a year.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1....the whole facility is world class.

12. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

beaver is good, little bumpy coming down the hill after the left.

I hate summit

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so many tracks...so little time

14. 418

418 Expert #59

And completely shagged surface. This place was overdue for a repave couple years ago, I can only imagine what the place is like now.

The best racetrack in the south east is Road Atlanta. Barber is great and technical but it's a designer track. Also the place is pretty slow and tight, IMHO. Not bad, but Road Atlanta gives me a bigger buzz. :up:

15. STT-Rider

Some like Ginger..... others Marianne.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Some like them both in a three way with whip cream and a stun gun. Yet I digress....

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Ditto to that.....

18. got40

got40 On hiatus...

:confused:
    Grip? At Jennings? As long as you have extra hard compounds maybe.

And I'm sorry I don't like Barber. That is one dangerous strip of asphalt. Armco, blind entries, exits, and hills. Guess I'm the minority here. But the grass is nice.:up:

19. STT-Rider

You think the professor was tapping both of them Dutch?

20. STT-Rider

Except for the grass part, sounds like a day at the salt flats might be your cup of tea. Tons of run off... you can see for miles in every diretion, not a wall or pc of armco in sight.. sounds exciting! Maybe we can paint some salt green like grass.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009