1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good, bad or ugly? Looking at a used supermoto

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Oct 13, 2015.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

On local cl, 2010 crf 450, needs electrical issues addressed (lights wired), on stock suspension, could be had for $4K.
    I know nothing about these bikes but I think I want one.
    What are your thoughts?

I'll post the link in a moment, I'm having an android moment....

2. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Just from looking at it, I wouldn't. But then again I don't like Honda mx bikes..
    But what are you going to do with it? Street bike? It may be worth it. Race bike? You would want a 16.5 front wheel not a 17. That looks like a China rotor from ebay. I would net the rear wheel is a 4.25 when you want a 5 for race slicks. That's a stock caliper, so you would want to upgrade that and the master.
    My thoughts would be there are much better set up race bikes your there for that price. If you want a street toy. For that price get a husky 450 or 510.

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Street and if it sparks my interest maybe track it.
    I didn't know how the wheels are set up for slicks, I'll need another set I guess.

What years husky 510? And what do you prefer if not Honda for mx? I'm not buying a new bike and building it for sure, just trying to get my feet wet with a bike and see if I dig it.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Those will work for slicks,or more performance street tires, so you wouldn't need another.
    I'm not sure of the husky years, let me look it up.
    As far as Honda, I've just never been a fan really. But there are lots that are, and once they went fuel injection they are reliable to my knowledge. I prefer Yamaha and ktm.

6. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

08 and up on the huskys. every year before is a time bomb.

7. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

what are you using it for?

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

DO NOT GET A HUSKY!

Unless it's a newer KTM version.

I've had to rebuild a few here lately and parts are gettin very hard to find....

Barely found a piston:/

Head gaskets were also very difficult.

I'd imagine a lot of things you could have made but again it's gonna be $$$$$

The piston kit wossner was over $400!!!

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

For 2008 SMR 510, Stock piston kit from Halls is $315.00. Head gasket is $6.75.

Parts are still pretty easy to come by for Husky's.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yea I thought so to.

However, Ktm has all the old inventory and from what I've seen is that because they have it "in stock" doesn't mean "in stock"

Fwiw we went through 4 different places trying to get parts.

One bike was an 06 610 and the other was a 5-something.

Personally I'd get a Ktm over an older husky any day.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I don't know how much older it is, but I know a guy from my mini club selling his Honda 450 for $3k.

Has a street title and is set up for supermoto. Not sure if it has lights wired or not, as I've only seen it in race trim. Let me know if you're interested. It wouldn't take long for me to find the FS post on Facebook.

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Thanks for all the info guys. As I said I have little to no clue about supermotos.
    I think the 510 may be outside of my budget, there aren't many used ones and they are big bucks.

How's the wr450? There's one locally, priced well, it's a 2012 bike. I looked up the 2016 wr450 and it's $9K, no thanks.

13. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Thank you, but you are a day's worth of driving away and I can't put the time and effort in it.

14. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I think I'll just pull the trigger on that 2012, I've been looking at it for a couple of days, the seller seems cool and is capable of responding to an email in a literate and polite manner which goes a long way with me these days.

16. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

MX bike for street is a pretty bad idea. Generally I don't think you can have a do it all bike. I'd also say Husky 450/510 was the best compromise but if parts are becoming a problem then the next best thing would be a 5-valve Yamaha WR if your state allows plating them. But still I wouldn't do it, too much hassle and it'll still blow up eventually.

Get a DRZ400, ride it for a year and sell it for what you paid for it, you'd be better off. And if you want to race, get a race bike.

17. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

if you were closer to DC id offer to sell you my WR426. It just doesnt get ridden due to my SXV550 being next to it.

18. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Nice....Looks clean and has the goodies that wake it up nicely. Set of wheels and plate it out....Braaaaap time

I love my WR on the street.....

also ask if he did the throttle stop screw too...