1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gmd computrack (how does it perform)

Discussion in 'General' started by GREG#22, Mar 29, 2001.

1. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering peoples opinion on their bike before and after they got the sweet #'s work done and how it affected their riding on the track.

2. Aaron Stevenson

Aaron Stevenson Well-Known Member

My bike is getting the sweet #'s set-up done even as we speak. I'll let you know after Apr. 13th. From all that I've heard, I'm very excited about the positive changes that other riders have experienced with their computracked bikes.

3. indiana roadracer

indiana roadracer BBS Lurker

Greg,
    I had my frame repaired in the Atlanta facility and it was sweet. I bent it a ton at Road America and they GMD fixed it within a week and hauled it to Mid-Ohio for me. I then put it together and qualified my best time ever the next day. Of course I crashed it on saturday but thats racing [​IMG]

4. GREG#22

thanks for your input i was not sure if it made that big of a diffrence. i wrecked mine at roebling this past weekend and dented the frame pretty good. i just had heard they want to charge you for things you may not need. but if its worth the money then i will pay it!

5. Bigfoot140

Bigfoot140 Member

I did my sv last year before the gnf and it took 2seconds off my lap times it is worth the money

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Remember the part about Racing being 90% mental?
    You are likely to have more confidence in your bike if you've just spent $$ on it, even if it doesn't make much difference at our level.

Is it worth it? Thats your call...

7. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

I need them to straighten my 400lb paperweight after last weekend. I called and got some prices from them. They better do damn good work. $$$$$

I will give them a try once. If I notice a difference after the fact I'll consider using them again. Otherwise, I can find frames cheaper than it costs to have them repair frame damage. I'm using them based on their reputation. We'll see if it is worth the arm and a leg.

8. schwantzmobile

schwantzmobile Byron Tucker #80 expert?

Many people swear by them, some swear at them. I had my bike measured and asked for the measurments to be sent to me, I never got them, e-mailed Opie (who now works for them)...never got a response. I'm sure if I really make a bitch I'll get them,(they have given me some of the measurements over the phone) but I don't think a customer should have to beg to recieve something that they purchased in the first place. I've also heard that there is a wide variance in quality from office to office, ie Atlanta is great, Maryland sucks.
    ...still, if I bent my bike , I would take it there if I had the bucks.

9. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I have had a lot of work done by Kent in Atlanta at G.M.D. It works and they are trustworthy people. They have fixed my f3 frame twice and the front end once and everytime when I got the bike back I KNEW IT WAS STRAIGHT, I didn't have the doubts in my head is it going to handle right??? Yes you might be able to get a frame pretty cheap maybe even the same price as G.M.D., but how do you know that it is straight...Usually when a frame is for sale it has been wrecked. Honda has thier very own computrack machine...if they use you know it works, also Team Valvoline uses them too, look at thier win sheet. I have heard a lot of peolpe say "Of coarse they say it's bent. Thats how they make money" But I have personally watched them measure a bike and say "its fine You do not need it straightened." I have had the sweet numbers done to my new bike (01 gsxr600) and I will always have them on my next bikes. The Suzuki rips and I picked it up from them in Feb ran Tall and Roebling and I haven't touched a knob on the suspension. Not to brag but I finished sixth in two races 600 ss & 750 ss and took second in 600 sb. My tire wear was perfect, even Moose at Trackside made a coment that I must have properly set up suspension. Give them a call It works [​IMG]

10. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Well that begs the question...How much did that two seconds cost you?

And are you 100% sure that there were no other contributions to your riding that could have resulted in the reduction of lap times?

[This message has been edited by SClark (edited 03-30-2001).]

11. GREG#22

well i guess i will take it tommorow to atlanta and let them straighten the frame and put the sweet #'s on it also let them revalve the front shocks and put a new penske shock on the rear while they have it.(HOPEFULLY I'LL KEEP IT ON TWO WHEELS FOR A COUPLE OF RACES CAUSE THIS S**T IS EXPENSIVE)

12. Glenn Foster

On two wheels for a couple of races? That's what I'm shooting for. So far it's every other race that I'm making repairs. I'm starting to feel like Critter.

13. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, all CU used to do on his TZ250 was lose the front and crash all the time. I got sick of that after he had a compound break of his wrist (1998) so I had Computrack redo the bike's geometry and then Chris started getting on the AMA 250cc GP podium and actually leading, too. He crashed twice in 1999 and didn't crash at all in 2000, and that whole experience pretty much convinced me. They also had a lot to do with making Team Hammer's GSX-R1000s work really good starting in about 1994 but it made a bigger impact on me when they turned my kid's bike from a losing-the-front-crashfest-special into a competitive racebike, and the way they explained what was going on made sense, too. I'm convinced that if Roland Sands had the same treatment done to his TZ he wouldn't have crashed at Daytona. Turns out 1996 and earlier TZs have good geometry, and 1997 and later TZs have less-good geometry that tends to lead to losing the front.

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 04-02-2001).]

14. Glenn Foster

It must be the geometry. I was beginning to think I was just screwing up every other time I put my helmet on.

What excuse will I have for crashing after GMD works their magic? [​IMG]