1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give Respect Where It's Due

Discussion in 'General' started by BRKNtibia, Apr 18, 2010.

1. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

In the video of the press conference where DMG officials explain the penalty accessed to Josh Hayes, Dave Schwartz said "...therefore it was my mistake". You can't help but respect someone who admits their mistake then takes action to correct it. :up: Colin Fraser was given multiple chances to do the same at Laguna last year yet he continued to try to weasel out of the situation. :tut: Now us fans can see why the paddock is optimistic about the future.

2. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Saw the race but didn't see the press conference. What exactly did he admit to? What was the mistake?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First - it's Dave McGrath. Dave Swarts writes for RRW.

Evidently he was told Josh had completed the ride through prior to the red flag, he hadn't, he didn't have the full info before making the call on the restart, once he had all the info he acted on it.

4. McGrath is a good guy with a lot of knowledge and I think he will continue to improve the series.

5. CounterSteerer

CounterSteerer Screwed

6. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

Oops. Wasn't he the singer for Sugar Ray too? :D

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So Josh hadn't crossed the start/finish before the red was thrown?...even if he had, would it actually count, as they revert back to the preceding lap, so it is like that lap never happened...hummm it makes my head hurt.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically that's how I'm understanding it. They reverted back to a lap where Josh hadn't taken the ride through yet so he never served his penalty. Still worked out okay, no way to tell if he'd been gridded in the back (assuming he had ridden through prior to the red) if he would have gotten up to the 6th he was awarded.

Sucky situation but I think Dave made as good a call as he could have.

9. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I'm still not getting it. So Hayes was mistakenly credited with completing the ride through w/ 1 second to spare and given the No. 1 starting position on the restart based on his race position on the lap prior to the red flag. That part I get.

How did McGrath "act on it"? Did Hayes get docked a few positions/points post-race? Last I saw he was on the podium being congratulated for the win.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So even with the link posted in the thread you're still not reading any of the reports? Oy vey...

Josh got docked 20 something seconds and moved back to P6, Blake got the win.

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Rule needs to be addressed...I would think if you crossed the S/F then you had served the ride thru,and then the red flies, the rider should be gridded where he was on the preceding lap..in the case of a RedFlag...not caused by said rider.

12. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Doh. Didn't see the post or the link. Wow. Good for Blake.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Said rider could have not jumped the start too, that was the bigger issue than the red. :D

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Man was eager to get the bid'nzz done....:p

15. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

Lemme see if I can spell it out for ya Zippers

Hayes jumped the start and got a penalty for it. He was completing the ride thru when they threw a red flag. At the time they had made the determination that he had completed the ride thru and started him on the pole position when the race resumed and he won. After the race had been completed, they realized they had made a mistake and Hayes had NOT completed the ride thru before the red flag was thrown. As a result, they awarded the win to Young and with the penalty time added Hayes ended up getting 6th place instead.

16. danrivito

danrivito Yamaland

17. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Thanks Deb - Yeah, I get it now. I have a tendency to start a post, get distracted, then finish it and/or post it up minutes later. So by the time I submit it, all kinds of other posts have piled up.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

BTW. Mark McGrath was the singer for Sugar Ray. Good call by Dave and even better for owning the mistake. Last year it would have just been done and not explained

19. lennyzrx

lennyzrx Well-Known Member

I'll agree here. These guy's have been at this a few years now!

It's a fair call! IMO

20. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Josh hadn't completed the ride through when the red was thrown.He was about 20 feet from re-entering the track,red was flown,he was stopped.Saw that with my own eyes from about 50 ft away.

What got me <and many others on hot pit> was how did any AMA official miss the Pinson-BMW stunt show on the grid?I'm still shaking my head on that one :D