1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gentlemen" farmers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

20 years ago I planted 400 apple trees thinking that was a good idea....WRONG. Anyways, about 20 survive and this year turns out to be the first bumper crop. I don't spray or take care of them so they aren't the pretty store type apples. My buddy decides to help pick them and we take them to local guy with a cider press.
    I figure a pickup truck load will give me about 15 to 20 gallons, right? Wrong again, 85 gallons! I've got 30 gallons brewing for hard cider, gave away 10 gallons, probably drank 2 gallons myself.....another mistake, excuse me for a minute.............................back again, don't ask.:wow:

2. Gramps has an old fashioned cider press. I can remeber being 5 or 6 and drinking a whole bunch, then.... I will be back in 5, well 10 minutes. Good stuff but does a number on the system.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The best cider apples are the ones on the ground with worm holes in them.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

They don't make better cider, they're used for cider making because they're unsaleable.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Start brewing some hard cider, home made stuff is the best.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Nope. You can't legally use drops to make cider. (Sure you can drink it, but I don't want any animal scat in my cider)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Do you hunt and have plenty of land?

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Possibly not for commercial production where you live, but that is the traditional reason for using them for cider.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Nothing like fresh-pressed cider to clear your plumbing out! Love cider season n New England! Used to get with a bunch of my High School pals and we'd go pick apples, take them to the cider mill, then sell cider at the local HS and college football games.

Then the money went for pot, beer and gas to go pick up horny girls.

Life was good back in the olden days.

10. Motofun352

I've got 30 gallons started for hard cider and 20 left for fresh cider. After the next picking I'll have another 150 gallons, I figure. All my apples are from off the tree, the deer sh*t under the trees is abundant. It costs me a dollar a gallon to get it pressed so I may just call it quits at this point...just hate to see all those apples that I gave up on 15 years ago go to waste....

Hard cider....15 gallons of fresh cider, 15 pounds of sugar, 1 ounce of acid powder (aspirin or citric acid works), Add fruit juice to suit (a large can of orange, pineapple or similar concentrate)...stir like hell to mix then cap air tight and vent thru a bubbler (ie air lock). First fermentation should take about a week depending on temperature. When done fermenting, syphon off the top 2/3 and cap tightly to keep air off it. Ready to drink in about 3 months or save for 2 years for the good stuff. Next year I might try using a Jack Daniels barrel and go old school.

Drank a quart last Wed evening....I was a little fuzzy all day Thursday! :wow:

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The deer love apples. It gets them all sorts of f@cked up drunk.

Save a nice pile of apples for the deer or better yet, ask the processor for the apple pressing and feed those to the deer. They used to give that stuff away because there was nothing they could do with it and you were helping them get rid of their trash.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Since when did you become a deer hunting expert? Can't be in a tree stand wearing an ascot and wingtips!

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you can't put a pile out during hunting season and shoot bambi in the face when he goes to eat, that's illegal.

and I'd like to remind you, 'toe, that you are afro american and therefore you know nothing about ice hockey, skiing and hunting. :D

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

15. caferace

caferace No.

I'm going to refurbish/rebuild this bad boy over the winter. We have 12 apple, and 14 pear trees.

-jim

Attached Files:

16. Motofun352

Man, that press is old fashioned. Get with the times, my neighbors is a modern (ie 1934) hydraulic press. Apples in one end, get ground up, pressed and pumped to a holding tank....did 85 gallons in under an hour. :up:

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That was great except for the fact that you were running to the bathroom so often the horny girls got bored and left. :)