1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Grabber Tires - Yeah or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

According to what I read researching tires a few years back before deciding between the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Grabbers, the Generals, as they wore, lost balance from uneven wear, inconsistent mold/rubber density or fresh off the shelf, some sort of discrepancy that seemed inconsistent with the carcass that you balance one spot, then you'd be out of balance 90-120 degrees out...add more weight, balance point moves...rinse & repeat.

That said, the local Farm & Fleet had buy 3, get 1 on the Discoverers and not one single issue or complaint on my Tacoma for the last 22K or so on them.

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I'm getting the Coopers this Saturday. I really want to keep that Pilot for another 5 years or so, so might as well treat it right with some nice new shoes.

BigBird likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What year Pilot and how do you like it so far ? We are considering the late model ones (or the new Passport which will be on the same platform and engine).

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

if you have to SUV it, better off getting a MDX. Better service experience, better deals, and essentially the same thing.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Starting price is $13k higher on the Acura, which is quite a hunk of change.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

You can get them discounted almost $10K since it's at the end of its run. A decently loaded Pilot and a Base Model MDX are similar in terms of features and about the same price. Lease figures are way better on the Acura if that's your game, and with Lease incentives, even if you want to finance, you can start in a lease and then finance at the end of it and have a cheaper buying price than if you started off as finance from the start.

AND Honda dealers are the some of the worst dealers to deal with. They all seem to play the same game, and we have a lot of them here, i.e. come in to get the best price, oh we can't go lower, etc. Seen it over and over. I had one sales guy at Honda that avoided all that BS with me, but he left and one of the reasons I stopped buying Hondas was because of those games.

"Luxury" brands usually cut to the chase. I can make a deal over the phone/internet and just go sign the paperwork and drive off without any issues. Also, when I take the wife's MDX MILF wagon to the dealer for an oil change, I have a loaner car waiting for me. No waiting around, much different experience.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

It's a 2009 Touring edition. Bought it new. It's been a great vehicle. Aside from routine maintenance, I can't think of anything to really complain about.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Someone will have to give me the crayon and pictures version of how financing a car twice somehow works out to be cheaper....

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Companies throw zero or very low interest rate at a lease, and also have a lease incentives that bring down the selling price, that may not usually be eligible/same on a finance.

ex. The finance rate will be say 3.9%, while the money factor/interest on a lease is near 0%. Also, the lease may be eligible for a $2,000 incentive, while the finance will only have have a $750 incentive. Happens often enough.

So right there, you save the upfront interest for 3 years, and save another $1,250 from financing. Also, at least in NY/NJ you only pay taxes on the lease price, so the residual in three years will be taxed at a lower number and again you save by not paying interest on taxes from the entire vehicle for the first three years, + time value of money + option to walk away. Also, a lease in NY/NJ also has built in GAP insurance, so also something not to finance and worry about being upside down in the event of a total loss.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It still doesn't make sense to me but if you say so.....
    I guess we do math differently....
    I've never seen a lease deal where if you decided to buy the car at the end of the lease that you came out ahead...certainly if you finance the residual.