1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Grabber Tires - Yeah or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I put Generals on my wife's slk230 after the Goodyear eagles wore out. Much happier with the way the car rides now and has better wet traction.. try Discounttiredirect.com for better pricing. Found them much cheaper than tire rack.

Killswitch likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Another point is that if the family is being driven around I try to get the best tires possible outside of summer tires for the minivan, but I did think about it :)

Panic stop braking distances between tires can vary widely. Every foot matters, even outside of the bedroom.

sharkattack likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The best snow tires I ever had were Bridgestone Blizzaks WS80. On 14 inch rims on my Civic, they would plow through snow like nothing else and I would pass AWD SUVs on the highway in snowstorms going twice as fast as them. Of course, the narrow size of the tires helped a lot. But they were awesome and I never go stuck anywhere. I now have an AWD car with kinda wide Pirellis which have tons of grip to get out of the snow (mostly due to the AWD), but don't turn for shit and pushes the front like crazy and don't brake very well in snow. They are ok on ice though.

4. Blizzaks are just plain awesome.

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’ve got no beef with the Goodyear ‘s . It’s been a great street tire . But I like a little meat hanging outside the wheel wells . Goodyear’s are 275/60’s and the AT2 were 33x12.5 ... and much better for all over use .

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sooner or later you'll own General :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Ran a set of Grabbers 15 years ago. Did the job.

8. backbone

backbone scarred for life

The General's are an amazing tire. I thought I put some "cheap" tires (General) on an old truck and I they ended up being so good in the wet and the feel was better than the Stones I had before that I put them on most of my work vehicles.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I hate the big name tires, they are the only ones I get sidewall bubbles with. Michelin Pilots, Pirelli PZero's, Brigestone Potenza's........
    The lower end of known names are what seem to be the best value to me. Falken, Cooper, General, Nexen, Nitto etc. At the dealership we use very cheap tires called Accelera. They wear out quickly but are excellent otherwise, never give us balancing trouble, sidewall bubbles etc.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

those are all pretty trash tires, just saying. If you're looking for a rock hard tire, with the COF of a brick, then yeah, accerlera with them

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I put Yokohama Geolander ATS on my FJ Cruiser twice and got 65k+ out of both sets. Great tires.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im pretty sure General is owned by Continental. Conti makes great tires.

backbone and neckbrace like this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

"General Grabber" is owned by the Russians. :D

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup:

15. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I had General Grabber A/T's on my 07' F250 crew cab FX4 Lariat and they worked great, handled good and lasted fairly long. Anything harder might have been big truck tire stiff and anything softer would've gotten expensive real quick as I had the rare factory 20's on mine. They were reasonably priced and felt like a well built tire.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Only issue I have heard towards the negative about Grabbers is allegedly some tires don't hold balance or require a lot of weight to balance out.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My truck had some Sumitomo Encounter AT's on the rear. When the stones on the front wore out I put some of teh Sumi's on and its nice. more aggresive rread than the HT but still pretty quiet. Handles the snow we have had good so far.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

for a bunch of racers that rubber is life, ya'll sure is a cheap bunch of bastards on something that will last, 30-60K miles, and drive with the family or have on the MILF wagons with the family.

jasonhise and fastfreddie like this.
  19. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how a tire could ‘lose balance’? Is it possibly because of inconsistencies in the materials and, as the tire wears, it loses ‘stuff’ more in one spot of the vs another? I’ve often wondered why I have to rebalance my tires when I didn’t throw a weight.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, that's me.

All of my motorcycles have Michelin PR5's or Pirelli Corsa's etc. My Lexus needs tires and those Kumho ECSTA's at $75 each @ Pep Boys look just fine:D

cha0s#242 likes this.