1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General bike lean angle question

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

If you were to put a protractor on a motorcycle, and assume good/ decent body position, what would you say is a "typical " max lean angel for a bike?

40, 45, 50,degrees ?

Professional elbow and helmet dragging, not withstanding.

2. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

The Moto GP has one on screen, that I thought was from the onboard gyros.
    I've seen them get in the high 50's for sure. Tettering on 60 degrees? Where 0 is vertical.

Fencer likes this.
  3. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

/
    Well, it would be interesting to see what is normal, standard, typical lean angle for street riders, track riders and racers of various styles.

Some guys drag pegs cause they push the bike down. Others don't cause they're down and hold bike up.

As Todd says, Motogp guys do insane things on their bikes, but their skills, their bikes and those tires are in different leagues.

Pixelator and The Todd like this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You can't "in general" ask about this the way you put it. It's a physics question and there are so many variables to consider.

jdmosley43 and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

We talkin dunlop's or pirelli lol

jdmosley43 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think the highest I ever saw in the data from the 400 was 64 degrees which I immediately through out as a false reading because quite frankly there is just no chance in hell I rode it back to the pits if that number was real. 45 is a realistic number. 50s and up I think you'd be headed into a land few average racers see on a regular basis.

Fencer likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If memory serves, MM set the record in MotoGP at 62 degrees (maybe 64?).

[edit - just googled and it’s closer to 71 degrees :eek:]

The Todd and Fencer like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

About 2 years ago Taylor Knapp with Sportmax Q4s on the track achieved a lean angle of 62 degrees. See, even a street tire can get some impressive results so again it's a physics question, and the two limiting factors will always be rider skill and ground clearance.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Lean angles are one thing side bite/grip are another;)

beac83 likes this.
  10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Wimps. I've done 90!

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Oh please...
    I've done 360:D

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Our data shows 45-50 degrees is common for most racers and we've seen 50-55 from our fastest guys, but in brief flashes, not sustained. Data also shows that when it gets higher than 55, we (and the painter) have some work to do.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yeah, the scientists at the ad agency knocked that campaign out of the park.

Break out the protractor and common sense ...

18D_Q4_TKnapp_sngl_InsideMC.jpg 18D_Q4+Press+kit_final-kh-4.jpg

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'm pretty sure I've hit 80 degrees, but by then I was letting go of the bike and rolling onto my back for the slide. :beer:

stk0308, Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  15. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Just a bit of vehicle dynamics trivia...the lateral acceleration (in g) of a motorcycle is the tangent of the lean angle. (Example...45 deg lean = 1 g) This is if the rider is inline with the centerline of the motorcycle...hanging off throws off this calculation.

The Todd, Fencer and Gino230 like this.
  16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Here is 50° lean angle and a rear wheel speed sensor at 190 mph :D.

Daytona though :crackup:

Attached Files:

mdroadracer likes this.
  17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I dont know... lean angle is mainly a consequence of how hard you corner. You dont really lean more without cornering harder (body position being constant). So does the question become not so much how far you lean but when does tire grip lose to centripetal force? How hard can you corner?

18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That was probably a crash that he saved :D

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you're a full size human, I would think it would be nearly impossible to achieve 60 degrees of lean. I know that when my toes touch down, that's pretty close to max lean angle for me. At some point there's just not room for your foot, knee, etc! And yes I keep my toes tucked in and ride on the balls of my feet.

So many other things to work on to reduce lap times- but where / how long my knee is down is a gauge I use often to see how much more I think I need to work on a particular corner.

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I have seen over 1 g many times on my AIM lateral acceleration data.