1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GDI engine sticking valves?

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, May 14, 2022.

1. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

You should just lease like all the dealers want you to. They really have your own best interest at heart.

2. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Yep DI is great until its not. The smart car mfgs are gonna be switching to dual injection systems (with port injection) to prevent the intake and exhaust valve gunk up.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Reason I picked up the car, my friends lease is up soon on his car.
    Found this for a song and knew it needed some attention...
    But shoite, I didn't expect this much lol.

4. L8RSK8R

I'm looking past the throttle plate gizmo and there seems to be a pool of oil in behind it.

Should I remove the manifold and delve deeper?

5. Used2befast

When you pulled the spark plugs...what did it tell you about the cars burn pattern in those cylinders? Did the plugs look like they need replacing?

6. Used2befast

Oil in intake is a bad sign...I would head over to the equus forum to see what others have seen with this engine.

7. L8RSK8R

Pulled the manifold and #8 valves are the cleanest, almost whitish/grey color, with absolutely no oil deposits.
    All the rest are caked in crud.
    Under the sound deadening foam between the banks, discovered a nest and a dead mouse....could be a small rat.
    I'll inspect the wiring for damage.

The pooling of oil in the manifold wasn't as severe as I thought I was seeing. T'was very hard to see clearly past the throttle plate.
    The MAP sensor on the back of the manifold has a film of clean oil (not sure if that's normal)

I've no clue how to read plugs but 5 of them were clearly damp with fuel. I've marked/numbered them and the coils also.
    #8's center & ground electrode is brown..ish, the rest are black with "soot" NGK LKR7DIX-11S

#8 coil is a Duralast C1667, the rest are OEM Denso 27300-3F100.

Wish I'd have become an auto mechanic when I moved here at 17. I became a pseudo taco/burrito mechanic at Taco Bell instead...dope :)
    I enjoy the crap outta this ;)

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Water/methanol injection

got a snow performance system on my 4.2 CFSA. But then, it’s also aftermarket blown…

those are notorious for carbon buildup.

friend just did the walnut blast on his 957 cayenne S

R1M370 likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

Had your friend done the walnut treatment before?
    I'm trying to figure out what's needed and also weighing the consequences of screwing it up.

Set of plugs and coils ordered and I'll remove/clean or replace the injectors.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

First time he did it. He borrowed my HF blaster bottle, made some spray wands, got my shop vac and bought an adapter.
    Thing looked like new afterwards and drives great (90kmiles)

L8RSK8R likes this.
  11. Used2befast

With your description it sounds like several problems.
    A junk non standard coil, gunked up valves due to lack of maintenance (cleaning at right intervals) and possible injectors that are gunked. I'd chunk those plugs for a new set after running injection cleaner through the car. If it will run...

The walnut clean would be the fastest way to solve your gunked valves for sure. It may take 2 CRC intake cleanings in a row to do any good. Wow...you are having fun:crackup:

L8RSK8R likes this.
  12. Used2befast

Gets some MAF sensor cleaner as well. Oil on that thing will cause all kinds of running issues.

13. L8RSK8R

"having fun" yup.
    Picked up an inexpensive borescope and first place I tried using it, was up my nose :)
    I've ordered a new sensor.

Phil...the HF blaster, is that the red one, about $150?

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I seriously doubt any of this is valve related. More likely maf/map, ignition or clogged pcv

15. Used2befast

New MAF sensor probably not needed...just visually check and some spray cleaner.

16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Will the CRC cleaning process clog up the catalytic converter at all?

17. notbostrom

Not normally, the can will say if it's safe for cats

R1M370 likes this.
  18. notbostrom

Easy test is to unplug it while running. If it runs the same it's bad.

19. L8RSK8R

The 5.0 motors don't utilize a MAF but have a MAP sensor on the back of the manifold.
    I believe the 4.6L previous generation motors use a MAF.

My sensor was/is soaked with oil.

Any idea why one cylinders valves are free of oil/crud....hasn't been firing for over 100k miles or more?

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  20. Used2befast

20220516_144921.jpg 20220516_145038.jpg
    The ECU will throw the MAF sensor P code if its covered in oil/dirt as well.

Starting to think this car was not cared for prior to OP purchased it at 165k

Here is my MAF and intake on my Genesis

Last edited: May 16, 2022