1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gastroenteritis, stomach flu...whatever you call it

Discussion in 'General' started by Putter, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Coming from Captain Commando? :confused:

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So I have the (regular, non-ass) flu...

FML.

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I feel great today. You ever read "Thinner" by Stephen King?

FEAR THE CURSE OF THE WHITE MAN!

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i had this 2 weeks ago. So bad they took me by ambulance from work to the hospital. White blood count was 23,000, was supposed to be around 11,000. Cramping so bad i wanted to die, dehydrated so bad, my piss looked like muddy water. 7 hours of laying in the ER pumping me with fluids, morphine and phenergan, i finally felt ok enough to go home. Stayed home for 4 days and 2 weeks of 2 different types of antibiotics. After a week, the white blood count was finally down to normal, but it took me the full 2 weeks to get my strength back.

I feel for ya, i wouldnt wish that shit on my worst enemy (ok, yea, i probably would wish it on them, but nobody else. :) )

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How the hell does a grown, intelligent man get this sick? I bust my ass to avoid the illness in the first place, but when it starts to come on I'm immediately pumping myself full of nutrients, fluids, and anything else that will help my body kick the bug.

Just a few days ago I started a thread about cold remedies out of curiosity for what others do. I was coming down with one but after a couple of days of rest and lots of food/drink/vitamins I'm good.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That shit just happens sometimes.

I never get that sick either.

Flu killed a 28 yr old guy by me last week. He was in good shape non smoker etc.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The flu kills 30k people a year worldwide.

9. Yep. And the really good strains mostly kill young, healthy people.

10. ToddClark

tell me how the hell a grown intelligent man AVOIDS getting this sick? :D

Dude, i havent been sick other than the sniffles for a couple of years. Had been feeling fine, about 1:30 in the afternoon, went to take my afternoon dump, and about 5 mins into it, i started sweating, shitting water, and puking like ive never puked before. The shits stopped after about 20 mins, but the puking just wouldnt stop, even once the stomach was empty, it was dry heaves and stomach bile for the next 2 hours. It wasnt until about 3pm i came out of the bathroom (crawling on the floor and into the office just outside the one man restroom) when the person in the office took one look at me and freaked out. I was white as a sheet, sweating bullets but having chills, and was STILL dry heaving. Considering my father had a heart attack while on the crapper at age 56 and died, HIS father had a heart attack and died while on the crapper, and here i am at 52 THINKING im gonna die............well, needless to say, this wasnt a "normal" stomach bug. I didnt know WHAT was going on. I continued to dry heave right up until the EMT's started an IV of something for nausea, then about 3 mins before we pulled into the ER, they took it out. Within 30 seconds of them removing the IV, i started heaving again. Docs told me they'd seen a lot of stomach viruses going around, but none this bad.

So, in order to answer your question, i dont see how a grown intelligent man could have avoided this, and i doubt very seriously you could have either.

11. So, your doctors gave you not one, but TWO antibiotics for a virus? :eek:

12. ToddClark

yep, and told me no matter how good i felt, to take them both until they were gone. i had to go for 2 follow up visits over the course of the following week, and it wasnt until the 6th day (2nd visit) that my white blood count was back to normal. 3 days after the "event", i went from 23K down to 15K, and on the 2nd visit, was down to 11K.

My wife is a nurse at the hospital i was taken to. She met the EMT's at the door, and when she saw me, she said it didnt look like i had any blood left in me i was so pale. Scared her too.

13. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Same here. Coming out of Bangalore. Spent 30 hours trying not to shit myself or puke over everyone near me.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't know. Generally we (men) tend to ignore things and abuse ourselves until it's too late. Doesn't sound like that was the case for you. I actually has something that came on similar to what you describe back in January 2009. I was fine, then BAM, projectile shitting and vomiting. Turns out I had food poisoning from eating at a Church's Chicken (was once my favorite - I've been twice since, not the same one, and it's just not the same). I swear I was puking things up that I'd never eaten:Puke:

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I read "Bangawhore" and thought now wonder you got sick!! :D

16. ToddClark

yea, food poisoning was the first thing they asked about. I've got a crappy diet. coke and a pack of crackers at 930 break, soda and bag of chips for lunch, then dinner at home with the family. And this was pretty much the case the prior 2 days before i got sick. The only thing i ate that could have "possibly" given me food poisoning was the blackeyed peas and rice we had the night before for dinner and then i had leftovers at lunch. No one else in the family got sick, so it ruled that out.

Ive had food poisoning once before in my life, i was in my 20's, back when i first started working construction. Always used to eat food off the "roach coach" that came out on the jobs. I ate a "homemade" sausage biscuit off that truck one morning, and for the next 3 days, had projectile coming from all portals. I lost 30 pounds in 4 days over that one. :Puke:

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I believe this 100%. I had one episode like this a few years back where I lost 14lbs in thirty fucking hours. I was effing BEGGING God, or anyone else for that matter, to kill me.:Poke:

18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

:crackup: no, that would have been another time :)

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I also had this once. It's bad juju.

I'm the guy that sees the doc every 4 years.

Sometimes it just gets you.