1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage compressor setup

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

In the hope of keeping the lines as open as possible all the quick connect fittings are 1/2" Milton g-style, the only thing I didn't think of is the size of the fittings are so big it is almost comical. The attached photo shows a 3/8" coil hose with 3/8" NPT fittings, I had to buy adapters to step up to the 1/2" fittings and also put a 1/4"-1/2" NPT adapter on the air gun.

Needless to say I'm pretty sure the air gun will work just fine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Umm, I think you went overboard.

3. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Quick questions about filter/regulator for my setup:

1. I have a 1/2 tee coming off my drop. My hose is 3/8. I'm assuming I want a F/R with 3/8 connections, with a 1/2->3/8 reducer going in and the 3/8 reel whip coming out. Is this correct?

2. Need to buy gauge for F/R. F/R has 1/4 PTF port size, gauge is 1/4MNPT. My understanding is that the two will mate as long as I use thread sealant. Is thist correct?

3. Is PTFE tape the way to go for sealing all threads, regardless of material/combination of materials being mated? Or are there certain materials/combinations of materials that need something else?

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What is an F/R? For better flow use the biggest size pipe or hose you can right up until the lower sized fitting. ie. if you are going from 1/2 to a 3/8 or 1/4 fitting staying 1/2 until the fitting is better than reducing to say 3/8 hose for 10 or 20 feet and then into a 3/8 fitting.

Is 1/4 PTF supposed to be Female Pipe Taper? If so then NPT (National Pipe Taper) is the same and 1/4 is 1/4...so yes teflon or thread sealant and it screws right in.

For normal liquids/air teflon is usually fine and all you need. If you really want to make sure its sealed use a thread sealant and teflon.

5. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I've got 1966 200 gallon compressor that runs 3 1/2 hoses just after a basic drier/reg. setup. One to the front of the shop where we have 3 lifts and use air tools on occasion and two to the back, one goes to a tire machine and the other air tools. The hoses are run over head and I bleed the hose at the tire machine. The only issue is every once in a while when using our big grinder for a long time we will need to bleed the hose during the job. I had every intention of running a nice setup but we have never had any issue other than that bit of water mentioned. We've used this setup for 15 years. Same snap-on hoses that have a lifetime warranty but haven't had to exchange yet.

6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

The outsider had me fucking hooked

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Filter/regulator

And yes, it would be the last thing before the 3/8 hose. 3/4 from compressor to drop, 1/2 from drop to F/R, 3/8 from F/R to the tools themselves (via the hose), then 1/4 at the tools

Th

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

The cooler that goes in the line that comes out of the pump before it goes into the tank it the best way to get the moisture out of the air. It will then condense in the tank and you can drain it out of one place and not have a still on your wall. They usually attach to the belt guard so the compressor fan/pulley can cool it.

https://www.amazon.com/Derale-13318...Air+Compressor+Cooler&qid=1611522932&sr=8-133

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I just realized I responded in the wrong thread lol