1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR 400 - School me quickly

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

FZR 400

I'm looking at this purchase. 2nd owner is asking $4300 and is pretty firm. Is this a decent purchase price for this bike? Its listed as a FZR 400 W

1988 model white and red. Clean title. Under 12k miles, no smoke, starts right up, garage kept, barely rode but started regularly.
    Upper fairing ear has stress cracks at the mirror mount and red graphic has been removed. Lowers are cracked but usable and look OK from pic. Tail has rear fender removed and small tail lights mounted on it. So each piece of bodywork seems to have some minor damage/modification but it is a 19 year old bike. Tank is perfect.
    Video of it running seems to show the bike starts/runs as described.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Any mods ?

3. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Woops - too much in a hurry. YES IT IS AN FZR 400
    Thanks Chaos.

under 12K miles.
    No mods except the rear directionals and I think it has a slip on.

4. cha0s#242

They had weak transmissions, I would check to see if second gear pops out under load. Other than that, they are pretty reliable. BTW, that's a 29 year old bike, not 19 ;)
    The price is okay, nothing incredible, but if you want a good stocker, that could be it. Some people pay top dollar for them in good condition (around 5k). I would need good pictures to give you a better evaluation.

RS250Ape likes this.
  5. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Of the two street (not race) ridden 400's that passed through my hands, both needed intake valves at 30k miles. Don't know if this is typical or previous owner abuse. Whether that matters I suppose depends on if you are going to use it for a daily driver, garage queen or racebike.

Oh, and if it still has 428 chain/sprockets, replace with 520 before riding.

RS250Ape likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I'm a buyer at $2,850.

pscook likes this.
  7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

That's pretty pricey I'd say 3000max based on that condition. Call Steve Long at Speedwerks. He can get you what you are looking for at a fair price

RS250Ape likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

9. notbostrom

Fairings are cracked.. it's overpriced. 1988 isn't the best year either single pot brakes and no Delta box swingarm. Missing stickers. Good chance it's been on the ground. Fairings don't crack by themselves

RS250Ape likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

Agreed, but the 1990 models are super rare and you won't find them in that condition. Bikes from the '80s almost all have lightly cracked fairings except those in museums or at Boccarp's...

11. notbostrom

Fairing stay looks tweaked as well. Check the steering stops. He's like every other Ferrari owner and thinks his shit is worth double what it actually is lol

12. notbostrom

That bike is 15 minutes away from me BTW

13. notbostrom

Not nearly as hard to find as you think

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Once people find out you like FZR400s you get peppered with for sale offers regularly.

notbostrom likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

16. 713

713 Well-Known Member

That bike has been on CL for close to a year. He started at 6k.

RS250Ape likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Too expensive for that. Upper fairing has been replaced or at least repainted. Lower left side cowl is busted. Agree with others that the rear subframe looks tweaked and those are not factory rear turn signals. I would look at the cases closely for scratches to confirm the bike has been down. Parts are definitely becoming harder to find. That is a 2,500-2,800 dollar bike depending on how it runs. Read the other comments above about weak transmission. I have one that skips out of gear and it's going to be time consuming to fix.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  18. LD

LD I do science

Check your math on the age of the bike :)
    EDIT: Shit, someone already got to it

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

2 much.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member