1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun Car for 3rd Vehicle

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, May 15, 2018.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you want a AMG or an M5

2. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

AMG Benz

A friend stopped by with an E63 AMG that was 3 or 4 years old that he was 'test driving' for the weekend. V12 twin turbo, something like 900 ft-lbs of torque. Yours for something in the $45k range from the Benz dealer in Seattle. It pushed me back in the seat harder than any other car I have ever been in.

XFBO likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I vote something like this. Comfort with performance. How tired do you think you'll be having to climb in and out of a car that sits super low and is sport focused? It would be worth it if there were roads to justify it, but Florida. ..

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's why i suggested an RS6 as well. some rich kid we knew around here had one with a few mods (which pushes it pretty easily to like 650whp). randomly ran into him one night on my R6 back in the day on the DC beltway. i was ROLLIN' already and it passed and walked away from my bike like i was standing still. fast ass car and still easy to drive every day.

Bruce likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Performance package which has LSD and brakes are a must though if you want to track it. If you get one, it will eventually become your daily driver. Heck I gave up the minivan, and make the GTI work as our daily. It does everything so well, and puts a grin on your face when you hit that start button.

And if you want to modify it, they make everything you can think of for it. It can handle 400+ whp with stock internals if you want to go that route, and still handle on rails. The DSG is pretty awesome and faster than the manual, but you do lose a little driver engagement, but you get most of it back when changing out the stock paddles.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Price on big AMGs are so good now a days. But better have a savings account for when anything goes wrong on those engines.

XFBO and BigBird like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

And rear tires.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

even though most are AWD now?

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Friend had one that was not AWD, think he was replacing rears every 10-12000 miles or something and he was not heavy footed.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's a V8 Twin Turbo, not a V12.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn, there is a blue one for sale for 50 ish the boss would love...

How bad are DB9's on maintenance?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know a very nice 700+ hp mustang for sale for under 40k.

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well when the say this at the end, it might give you pause.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Good point.

Upside is after her $17k or so Civic she'd never consider it. Best she'll do is lease something around the 30-40k level to keep her payments the same but upgrade the vehicle if she can figure out what she wants next.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i foreal hear that the Vantage V8 is pretty easy on maintenance and pretty decently reliable. like anything else of that level, if/when something does go wrong though its gonna cost. but still... if you get a Vantage without the ceramic carbon brakes, i think its a pretty easy car to own. oil changes every 10k miles i think or once a year, nothing crazy about its design... if i had like $70k to throw around i'd foreal look for a 2014-15 or something. its a beautiful car. no solid lifter valve jobs all the time though or crazy expensive brakes pads/rotors... those two differences from say, a Ferrari, will save a bunch of money right from the get go of owning one.

Two cases in point though... we knew a dude who bought a Bentley GT for cheap as shit. and why not? design's barely changed in forever so you look like a cold pimp driving down the street. window regulator broke, there goes $2500 haha.

Another guy we knew bought a 348 for like $22k, which was kinda awesome/funny. For that amount of money who cares about babying it, so he'd put a snowboard rack on top and drive it up thru the snow to the ski slopes and shit haha. A/C broke on that puppy. Had to drop the engine out to fix it. Thousands right there. So yea... i think owning a Vantage is pretty easy generally... but i'd be prepared for something stupid breaking costing a bunch of thousands still on anything Porsche or higher.

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The Ferraris don't break that often and are easy to work on but the $7500 belt changes every 15k miles is the killer

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

He could have mistaken the E-class for the S-class AMG. You can get the S-class with the TTV12. I think it's the S65 AMG.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds