1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full season or just a few select races

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by sbhockey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

So how many guys do a full season, and who only dose a few races per season?

I raced MX for quite a while and am getting the itch to try my hand at road racing next summer. I put together a quick rough budget and started changing my mind pretty quick. Makes the couple grand to do a local MX series seam like pocket change. If anything I’d probably only do a few rounds a year, likely Grattan and Gingerman since it’s only an hr from home.

The plan was to race my SV650 in LWSB novice, in all 9 rounds of the North Central sportsman class. Driving a Chevy Colorado crew cab with a cap, pulling a 4x8 HF folding trailer. To save money I’d sleep under the cap of the truck and bring basic food for the weekend, lunchmeat, granola bars, fruit, that sort of stuff. Below is the budget I put together, just wondering how it fits with what other guys are doing.

Gas in truck $1,000 I get roughly 15mpg when towing the little HF trailer. This is at $3 per gallon, witch I’m sure will be going up this summer.
    Tolls $100 Estimated
    Gas for bike $250
    Gate fees $180
    Entry fees $1,260 Try to run in at least two classes each round.
    Practice fees $625 Estimated, I know not all rounds offer practice days.
    Tires $500 At least the SV is good on tires, $500 should more than cover me.
    Food $675 Should be more than enough for some basic meals at the track.
    Transponder $415
    Up keep $300 For the basic’s like oil changes, brake fluid, pads, etc.
    Crash $500 Everyone go’s down, might as well budget for it.
    License $100
    Wednesdays $900 I live an hr away from Gingerman and would be able to get extra seat time the Wednesday’s between rounds.
    Total $6,805 Total to race all 9 rounds, sure I’m missing something.

If I only did the two rounds at Grattan, and one at Gingerman I would look to spend roughly $2,000

Any thoughts???

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Any WERA day you race on, you get practice for free. I'm not sure how the regional rounds are set up on the other side, but over here for most WERA West rounds we have Sat as a practice and Solo 20 day, then most sprints on Sunday. If we race the Solo's on Saturday, we don't pay for practice. So, that might save you a few $$ in your budget.

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

More inline

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same schedule setup everywhere we run.

5. sbhockey

Just looked back at the fees page. I misread initally. Looks like it's only a couple rounds that offer Friday practice. Thats a few hundred back. I assume I would be able to pick up a used transponder, but just in case, plan for full price.

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I have never done a friday practice....I should start. lol It looks like you did your homework well. I dont do a straight schedule but I do 10-11 weekends each year. I keep my race schedule flexible to account for work etc.

7. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

All of your estimates seem pretty accurate. :up: Good luck and hope to see you out there.

BTW, love your avatar pic of Cadwell Park. I got to see a race there in Sept of 2010...awesome!

8. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

And just a thought because I am trying to find someone to help share the travel costs, that $1100 in gas and tolls can get cut in half if you can find someone local that races too.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Your numbers look pretty good. I never budget for food, I would be eating even if I wasn't racing:up:

10. sbhockey

Having someone to split travel costs with would definitely be a plus, just need to find some people in the area that race. Not a lot of guys in my area that I know of.

As far as factoring in food, well I'm going to try and pay for all racing costs from one checking account, set up just for racing. All good in theroy, well see how it works out.

The more I think about it, I think I'm just going to try a few local rounds and go from there. Maybe do the last Grattan round this year in July.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I pick the rounds that I want to do since I don't care about a whole season. For this year my plan is 5 WERA rounds, 2-3 other series and some track days. More than enough riding for me

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't add in the cost of food, that way the race budget number isn't quit as big!:up: I hate to go over budget because of that huge bag of Oreos!

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

i cant understand why we have to pay for practice.... maybe someone can enlighten me

14. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

You get 2 sessions of practice on the day you race included with your race entry fee. The Friday practices are just trackdays conveniently held the day before a race weekend that racers use as practice.

When my budget allows, I race on Satuday and Sunday. Thats a total of 4 practice sessions and whatever races you enter for the weekend, all for the cost of the race entry fee.

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

ten four.. Understand now.. Thank you

16. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yep...and if you have two bikes....you get to practice in that many more sessions. That bike has to be registered for a race though. I generally have two bikes that I bring along that I race in different classes. It helps a ton to learn the track.

17. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

That's an awesome break down of expenses...the deciding factor will be your wallet. Good luck out there!