1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel question

Discussion in 'General' started by Yamaha Fan, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

What fuel are you running in a super stock bike? I have a 2016 675 Daytona that I am going to start using to get back in shape at some track days. Totally stock, with no flash setup for track only. Premium pump gas? no ethanol pump gas?

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Premium no ethanol pump gas.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If it doesn’t detonate on low octane, you will make fractionally more power that way. Good old high horsepower MR12 is only 87 octane.

brex likes this.
  4. Yamaha Fan

OK, saw non-ethanol at Circle K last night but it is not premium, I will look for the premium, the
    OK, saw non-ethanol at Circle K last night but it is not premium, I will look for the premium, the next thing to figure out is how much I'll need per day

5. Boman Forklift

I don’t know that bike engine combo. Having said that, when we were running club races on Tyler’s 600, I always ran pump gas. It was 87 octane. Out here we couldn’t even get good non ethanol pump. At WERA and other club events you could run MR12, but I figured he should just ride harder to stay up with those racers.

Also, our R6 was SS spec, so that generally meant a layer was removed on the head gasket or a thinner gasket was purchased, I don’t recall. Also had a valve job, and then a reflashed ECU. For AMA, I would clean out the fuel tank by swishing the AMA gas and draining the fuel lines, etc.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

All the non E we have around here is either 90 or 91.

7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I ran 93 non ethanol pump. As far as quantity, I always filled the tank of my R6 plus a 5 gallon can and never used it all.

8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

93 pump gas, and add a pint (16oz) of Blendzall Gold Label to every 5 gallons. Blendzall recommends 2 oz per gallon btw, but I use a a whole bottle.

Every bike I used it in, be it race or street did well with that mix. Both carbs and EFI. Smells great is a bonus…

9. Boman Forklift

What’s that do?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Told to me by a smart old mechanic years ago. Great top end lubricant, improved squish properties. Every bike I’ve used this on, has had better throttle response, and has run cooler…as the advert says. HP, never checked, but seat of the pants has noticed a plus.

Btw, I don’t think this would pass muster in a spec fuel class.

Attached Files:

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Stock 675 and just doing track days? 93 Pump - no ethanol. Buy a funnel that has a particle filter built in and strain it before you put the fuel in the bike.

Fill the tank completely full to a point you can measure. Fill your gas jug. Go out and do your session. Count the amount of laps you completed plus your outlap. Refill your tank and measure how much fuel you used and then pair that with your lap data. If you are just doing trackdays for fitness, top off your tank each time you go out.

We have drains installed on the bottom of the tanks with a quick connect. After the session, we drain the fuel into a measuring carafe and calculate the difference from where we started. Much easier.

12. Boman Forklift

When we ran AMA I did that too for awhile. Then I bought a wood dowel and put an empty tank on the bike, on stands, and put in a gallon, made a mark, then another gallon made a mark, etc. Figured out how much we needed and went from there

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Essentially, option #3. I've seen that method many times over the years.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

For track days, why not just regular 93 from the pump (with ethanol)? 7-20 minute sessions on a mid size bike will use a little more than 5 gallons but certainly less than 10, go from there.

15. Yamaha Fan

Thank you, Experienced racer, I run vintage 2 strokes, have good gear but the TZ's are 1000 - 1200 mile full rebuild with a minimum of rings at the half way point, not a good bike to burn laps on. I have been a way for a while, have a great funnel, (water separation) and could probably run any fuel but prefer to run good stuff. I look into the blendzall. The 675 is stock, I have a fresh ohlins for the rear the front is stock but has fresh oil and seals, I may send the forks off to traxxion, I have a programmable race dash and race bodywork. Once I get up to speed and am racing again I will probably sell the 675. I am doing a two day track day at Roebling in november I'll grab 10 gallons, I want to do another at Jennings, need to get re-licensed so going to take Ed B's school.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. Yamaha Fan

Damn, this is a 2-stroke mixture 40:1 (dirt bike) I run 20:1 in the TZ's (helps the main bearings live because they are always spinning at high RPM). appreciate the advice.

17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

For track days, ethanol-free whatever grade the bike needs. My 600s ran on 87, so that's what they got. My 750 says it needs 91, so that's what it gets.

https://www.pure-gas.org/ will tell you where you can find ethanol-free gas in your area, including grades if needed.

As far as amount of gas, I generally fill the tank and bring another 5 gallons per day. I don't always have a lot left over, but I have enough for the day. My lap timer is a calendar though, so your mileage may vary by quite a lot.

Razr and Zoomie like this.
  18. Yamaha Fan

Thanks !!!!! I can see where to go!!!

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I run on high fructose corn syrup. The bike runs on gasoline.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. Yamaha Fan

LOL, I run on one cup of black drug with a generous helping of hazelnut creamer and a biscotti (people can barely stand me with one so I dare not have two)