1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP trolls..

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by prospected, Oct 24, 2014.

1. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not to take anything away from getting hit in the back of the head with a hatchet, but was walking down that street any more dangerous for those cops that day than it was for the woman that was struck by the stray bullet?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Posing for photos should get hazard pay. :stupid:

4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Guy targeted the PD, lady was just unlucky as hell but still alive.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

i this was a thread on File Transfer Protocol

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

PD has a reasonable expectation to be targeted. They wear bulletproof vests and are equipped with weapons and training to defend themselves. That lady was minding her own business and took a bullet.

And before you turn on me, my wife is a cop. I AM an FTP'er but only in a literal sense;)

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup::crackup:

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

With a hatchet?

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What is an "acceptable" item to be targeted with? Honestly, they're likely to run into anything and everything short of military grade hardware (I'm talking about landmines, heavy machine guns, rockets, and shit) on a daily basis. I think I'd rather have a guy come at me with a hatchet than with a 12ga shotgun.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Who in NYC even has a hatchet (other than the perpetrator)? Do they even have hatchet avoidance training. I'm not bitching or doing the FTP thing. I simply cannot imagine the PoPo starting their shift thinking, "Damn, I hope no one targets me with a hatchet today."

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

While it would be a little unnerving to see a guy coming at you with a hatchet, the response tactic would be no different than for a club, bat, machete, or any other "swing to strike" weapon.

Obviously the bad guy wasn't very good in this case. I'd think that a good whack to the back of the head with a hatchet would be pretty much instant death but apparently the policeman will recover.

12. Who says that being a cop isn't dangerous? They signed up for the danger.

The guy NYPD sodomized with a plunger didn't sign up for it. Neither did the guy the NYPD suffocated for selling cigarettes. Neither did the (alleged) rape victim of the one NYPD cop. Neither did the thousands of minorities unfairly targeted by stop and frisk.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9708/14/police.torture/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/...for-selling-untaxed-cigarettes/article/390895

http://www.metro.us/local/cop-arrested-charged-with-rape-metro-us/tmWmgk---ac0w8JoqTnlQ/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/d...s-stop-and-frisk-unfairly-targets-minorities/

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Obviously hard headed...

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I don't recall anyone in any of the FTP threads saying the job wasn't dangerous. Militarized and violating civil rights is usually the theme.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

hatchet to a gun fight?

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Well hell, they should not have been born minorities if they didn't want their ass beat. See, it's their own fault. :)

17. :D

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

It really just comes down to accountability doesn't it!?

19. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

I don't get the "militarized" complaint. The rank and file cops are still equipped pretty much as they were 20 or more years ago. The pistols have gone semi-auto and there are usually rifles in the cars (in response to several highly publicized events when the police were out-gunned and under fire).

Are you talking about armored trucks? Yeah, there are a lot more of them now. Why is that? Well, several officers either got their asses shot up or couldn't retrieve victims who were in a kill zone (the North Hollywood bank robbery being the most well-known). If bad happens, we need people to respond to the sound of the shots to stop the bad. Those people had better be as equipped as possible to handle whatever situation comes up. It sure as hell wouldn't be prudent to send cops with pistols in to combat 3-4 shooters with semi-auto rifles, and dismiss it as okay because "they signed up for it".

I do understand some of the complaints about SWAT teams. Not because SWAT teams are bad, but because every freakin' department out there seems to think they need one, whether they are able to properly field one or not. A SWAT team needs to be not only properly equipped with cool guy uniforms, high speed guns, breaching tools, etc...but they also need to be properly trained. Many small departments ignore the training aspect.

As for violating civil rights, I agree wholeheartedly it should not happen. It pisses me off when it does because every incident makes all of us look bad. However, there have been a bunch of complaints over the past several years of civil rights violations, excessive force, etc that are simply unjustified. The internet has done law enforcement no justice. Any knucklehead can post a video of an officer arresting someone and label it "excessive use of force". Add in some screaming and 1.4 million views, and a new truth has been created that is irrelevant from the actual events of the arrest. Yes, I know it happens, but it isn't nearly as prevalent as the internet teaches everyone it is.

20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

While I applauded your well written opinion on this subject, there is no room for reason or logic in a FTP thread. Please remember this for future postings.