1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Door ---- Smart Locks

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Apr 15, 2020.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

all knowing beeb

What electronic front door lock are you using that does not require a key and are you happy with it. ?

Figuring out which direction I want to go this weekend.

The Schlages seem nice

code3ryder likes this.
  2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Watching. Wife isn't down with that techonology but looking forward to see what y'all think.

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I've had a Schlage on my front door for like 4 or so years now. Love it. My girlfriend replaced hers with one, too a couple years ago.

Everyone has their own PIN to open the door.

I got tired of carrying a house key. And being single, I'd locked myself out of my house a couple times taking the trash out or getting the mail
    like an idiot. My neighbors had a spare key, so I'd get it and let myself back in. With this lock, no longer an issue, and my son has his PIN to let himself in the house
    whenever he wants to or needs access. This will be very beneficial once he reaches middle school, the school's 3 blocks from my house, so he can walk home and let himself
    in, call me to let me know he's home, make a snack, do his homework and play XBox. And he also doesn't have to carry a bulky key.

The lock also flashed orange, then red as the batteries start to fade. Replace them and life goes on.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Screw that. Dead batteries, hacks, no wi-fi or BT signal, no thanks.

71Mne+8ZWjL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Jedb, G 97 and Sabre699 like this.
  5. legendndisguise

legendndisguise Well-Known Member

I'm using Schlage BE469 Z-Wave Connect Camelot for both my front and kitchen doors. Been installed for over a year and no issues. I also have Ring and can monitor the locks from the Ring app on my phone and give different user codes so know who is opening the doors.

DmanSlam, beac83 and tony 340 like this.
  6. StaccatoFan

If your door has a deadbolt, you could replace your deadbolt with the combo deadbolt lock as a trail run for her to get comfy with the tech.

That way you've implemented 2-Factor authentication to the house.

1) something you have: The physical key for the regular door lock

2) something you know...the PIN for the deadbolt

Unless you have both, you cannot get in. That's even more secure than locks with just keys.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    tony 340 likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

Mine doesn't have wifi, or BT. And if you're running unsecured wifi, you're an idiot to begin with and you deserve to be hacked.

CRA_Fizzer and tony 340 like this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This is the same model I have been looking at

9. StaccatoFan

I got one of these for the gym locker room.

https://www.amazon.com/Tapplock-lite-Fingerprint-Bluetooth-Biometric/dp/B07KJ9DMRV/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2I7C0CXMZ8CC&dchild=1&keywords=tap+lock&qid=1586968174&sprefix=tap+lock,aps,148&sr=8-18&th=1

LOVE IT! I don't wear my glasses in the gym for fear of them getting broken, so when I'm done, I cannot see the little f*cking digits on a tumbler/combination lock that has the 4 digit combo little rollers on the bottom. The lighting in the locker room sucks, so that doesn't help. (But it does help with not seeing the old dudes walk around with their "cash and prizes" hanging out so that's a trade off I'll live with) Without my bifocals now, I'm pretty f*cked.

Anyway, saw this little gem at Lowes and decided to give it a shot. Works BEAUTIFULLY as long as I never have my right thumb amputated, it's a winner.

Here's the lock I have on my house.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001COBTC...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

tony 340 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

Funkm05, Cawk Star and StaccatoFan like this.
  11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I have the battery operated Schlage, nothing fancy but it does the job. Didn't want one that was synced to my home Wi-Fi because of security concerns and it still has a key just in case the batteries take a crap.

I do like the ability to change the pin whenever ( perfect for short term dating) and the automatic locking feature which activates once the deadbolt is unlocked, unit will automatically lock again after 30 seconds or so, never have to question if I forgot to lock the door when I leave the house.

12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I have a touchpad from Amazon that replaced the keyed deadbolt. I'm not concerned about bluetooth getting hacked. If somebody really wants to get into my house, they can just smash a window or take a crowbar to the back door. They're much more likely to do that, than to "hack" my keypad. Plus I have cameras over all our entrances.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I do the Schlage not-smart, non-motorized keypad. All it does it drop a pin when you enter the right code so the knob doesn't spin freely. My house is old and we have real seasons here, so sometimes you have to yank on it to get the deadbolt to align in the door frame, so motorized would have only worked in half the seasons.

Haven't carried house keys for 10 years. If you're going totally keyless though, make sure you have keypads on at least two doors, so if one fails, you have a backup.

[​IMG]

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I've been using a Schlage Connect BE 469 motorized deadbolt on the apartment door for the last 4.5 years. It's worked flawlessly.

With the Z-Wave connection, I get alerts for specific users (super opens lock) or during specific times/days (when I'm normally away).

At the house I have a couple of other model Schlage locks - the BE 369 non-motorized deadbolt above with Z-wave, and a version of the handle lock above with Z-Wave (FE 599). All have been very reliable, and the integration with the home control has been simple and reliable.

Of the three models, I like the BE469 motorized deadbolt the best.

If you have multiple of these locks, you can have your local locksmith re-key the bypass keys so they are keyed alike allowing you to simplify your failure recovery processes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    tony 340 likes this.
  15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I just installed the NEST Yale lock deadbolt on my side and garage doors. The guy who built my fence sold me on them for the gates, but it's stupid because I don't foresee needing to unlock my gate with my phone, and there's not good wifi outside, and you can easily reach over and just twist the knob. So I pulled them off and put them on the house.

It has a lot of functionality, but for extra security you can still keep the bottom lock locked (key required). You can also set specific codes for different people, like if you have one you give to a cleaning person or something, you can schedule it to only work at certain times. Also there's privacy mode where only the master code works.

You will have to spend a few minutes making sure the bolt lines up very smoothly with the receiver, as the lock only engages with about .00002 Ft. Lb of torque.

For security reasons, they can be marginal- I saw a video of a techie using a laser beam or some shit to aim through a window and freak out the lock until it opened. But I figure if someone wants in bad enough, they can probably get in anyway.

It's somewhat convenient if I want to go for a bike ride or run and I don't want to bring keys. Or if something happens at the house, I can send a relative over pretty easy.

tony 340 likes this.
  16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

tony 340 likes this.
  17. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Schlage, keypad, or key. Also a key only deadbolt. The one on the left is what I have.

[​IMG]

tony 340 likes this.
  18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Didn't realize there was a Z-Wave one, looks like it's been discontinued though, b/c people couldn't understand that it wasn't motorized. I have a separate door sensor, but it'd be nice to be able to sense the position of the deadbolt.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

This reminds me of my friends old motorcycle shop, it had a key pad for the security alarm.

Being a mechanic, let's say his hands weren't always the cleanest when he punched it.

So the 4 digits used were very obvious.

With a vivid sense of imagination, you could pick out the order by beginning with the dirtiest key and so on.......

Cannoli likes this.
  20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

You should research all of the potential security issues with those locks before committing to buying one, especially the Wifi and Z-Wave enabled ones. The "dumb" ones have issues too, but they are not remotely accessible. Full disclosure, I work in the cybersecurity industry and an a full fledged member of the tin-foil hat club. Part of what I do on a daily basis is demonstrating security flaws with RF enabled devices (not necessarily these devices), so I know the art of the possible.