1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

front brake lines: individual vs daisy chained

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mattology, Jan 13, 2019.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i have seen some bikes where one line runs from the master cylinder to the left caliper with a double banjo, and a brake line runs from the double banjo over to the right caliper.

i've also seen some bikes where a double banjo is at the master cylinder, and each caliper gets its own brake line from the master cylinder.

what do you prefer and why?

K51000 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Single line to a T at the lower triple.

Double banjo anywhere is greater opportunity for leaks.
    T-split or double banjo caliper unclutters the "cockpit".
    T-split at lower triple doesn't confine movement/hanging of calipers during tire/wheel/brake maintenance.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    MachineR1, track wagon and beac83 like this.
  3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

+1 I like the T split.

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I've run both...can't tell a difference. It's all hydraulics...press the lever in a sealed system...fluid moves the same from start to finish. I like the uncluttered look of single line down to caliper, then up over fender (fitting tight on fender). Clean.

5. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Too funny. I was about to post this exact question!

I'm resurrecting a 1997 Ducati Monster and it has a T connector. Never had a bike with that before as I've always run two lines from the master.

What is the theoretical advantages or disadvantages of two lines from the master vs. a t connector vs a hose over the fender? It is packaging or is there a reason?

6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

My theory is the line over the fender is for a lower manufacturing cost from the factory. I know there are a few aftermarket kits you can get that route the same way, but I believe this is to please the consumer who thinks it should remain the same setup as from the factory. I used to run two lines from the master cylinder, but the bigger banjo left me with clearance issues on how far I could run my master cylinder up the bar before the banjo would hit the fork tube. The single line into a tee is my preferred setup. I have more room to play around with my master cylinder position, and it makes wheel changes much easier.

K51000 likes this.
  7. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

With the dual-lines from the master cylinder, you're essentially running the T at that point, so hydraulically, the only difference between having the T lower or higher would be the total amount of fluid in the system right? I'd think it makes zero difference performance wise in any of the 3 configurations, unless the amount of fluid because of more/less line has an effect. That said, if you're wanting to run quick-disconnects at the calipers, the dual-line banjo at the caliper wouldn't work well, so a T higher or a dual line setup would work better for that I'd think.

mike-guy likes this.
  8. Go with the t and avoid double banjos.

lonewrench likes this.
  9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I've always run whatever came in the kit that was on sale.

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Does the one that T's on the fender have any swivels or is it a solid connection?

11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The ones I've used are press fit/swadged on. So you can move them with a pair of no-mar pliers, same as you would do for a banjo fitting, but they don't just freely swivel.

12. mattology

thank you everyone for the replies.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Spiegler lines come w/ a soft clamp and plastic rod that allows u to rotate all the fittings. they don't move easily when new. ive got a front line thats a few years old and turns easily, so im going to replace it. cheap insurance.

14. mike-guy

This isn't about you anymore, the community is intrigued.

15. mike-guy

That was my concern. Although I'm sure yours has plenty of service behind it you are adding a piece of maintenance to the bike. I bought a bike that has a T'ed setup with quick disconnects on the T block and I ditched it for the simple 2 line. Guess I don't have any real scientific reasoning.

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Fun fact, Motoamerica requires any T’s or junctions to be above the lower triple clamp. I have a goodridge T setup and the T is just below the clamp FWIW.

17. mattology

i was simply trying to express gratitude for the great conversation, sorry

18. mike-guy

Jeez I was kidding, now I feel like a bully. Glad you got your answers.

19. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Say no to #bullying...

:p

20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Don't try to bully me into not being a bully!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.