1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the Larry Lawrence Files

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Actually, it was funny, and a learning experience. I went and bought new. Because, you are right, even back then, you had to up your game frequently or get left behind. I wish for the time club racing returns to that level of participation by both competitors and manufacturers. I miss those GNF Cup races a lot.

panthercity likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was at the 92 or 93 GNF at Road ATL. Holy crap, so many bikes. I think there were bikes gridded going up the hill before T12...or damn near. Watching from the esses... the first few laps was like a 2mi long train, bikes just lined up nose to tail.
    I doubt we'll ever see that again...if we could figure out how to get millenials onto r6's en mass, maybe there would be enough money.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Makes sense, the manufacturers were trying to sell new bikes.

panthercity likes this.
  4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Although the margin on parts is MUCH higher than on whole bikes.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Margin on parts has dropped considerably with all the online stores killing brick and mortar sales.
    Had it not been for me taking over a bicycle business I would be homeless.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Thanks, I forget that things have changed since I was a parts mgr at a Suzuki shop in the mid `70's. :oops:

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Except Suzuki.

They keep giving them away. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, with lower speeds we could run more on track at once. Can't do those numbers today even if we had them. We also had row one of the grid much closer to 12, I remember bs'ing with Rich Graver as we did wave 4 or something about needing a fax machine to start our rows. We also gave them a lot of leeway on jumps as they had to hold on the brakes to keep from rolling down the hill :D