1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frivolous lawsuit against Keigwins trackday organization:gofundme link

Discussion in 'General' started by duc995, Mar 13, 2018.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Pfff....Pocono is fine, just don't go off road in the second turn (?) or in the second infield section unless you want to see how many pieces you can break your motorcycle into. lol

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I believe it was on his second lap also from the article.

3. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Ha! I knew I'd get you to chime in with that one. LoL! I've known/seen a few people get seriously messed up at that track.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but no - it is up to him to take a look at the runoff. It is up to him to determine if the track is safe enough for him. Even if that means walking the track and looking at it all when possible or going round the outside and looking at it all. Laguna has good access to see every corner. If you do not choose to do so ahead of time that is again, your choice. There is something to hit sooner or later no matter where you run off of a track. Ditches and drainage pipes and sandbags before them are not safety hazards in an of themselves any more than a fence or tire wall or guardrail. You could if you did it right run off at Barber in Charlottes Web, bypass the gravel trap, cut through the gap and eventually hit the spider itself. Doesn't make it a safety issue. Riders can and will eventually hit everything around the track and a bunch of times in the paddock - doesn't mean there are safety issues, just that people can and will do stupid things.

mastermind likes this.
  5. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

So Mazda kicked in 3.5 mil for track improvements and it got used for "cash flow". That doesn't sound good.

SGVRider likes this.
  6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Lol didn’t see your post, I zeroed in on that too.

wrx_02 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The article is silly unless they can provide a sponsorship agreement between Mazda and SCRAMP showing the money must be used for facility upgrades only. I've never seen such a deal made. Mazda paid the money for naming rights and signage. The track can then do with the cash as they like.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Can I ask a dumb question - how would someone be prevented from arguing that this is like liquid or a slick spot on the floor resulting in a fall? Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that they were ok with it until they ran off the track, but that's just like (at least in my head) counter-arguing that a person didn't have an issue with the slick spot on the sidewalk until they fell in it.

I mean, I don't agree with the lawsuit - you sort of take your own responsibility when you do track stuff, but... I could see someone making a similar argument, I guess.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's more like arguing you slipped in the spill after walking past it a few times then walking through it and falling.

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Yes - exactly. People do that all the time - claim they didn't know it was there because it wasn't marked and wasn't promptly cleaned up.

I don't think its right, but it definitely happens.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

theres a post or two on BARF suggesting that the GoFundMe is setup so that they don't have to settle and have their insurance raise their rates.

I think im going to go find this ditch and pipe next time i do a track walk there. I bet its pretty early in T3 and will be easy to avoid if u don't target fixate off track.

grasshopper likes this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Something doesn’t add up with this.
    The trackday org should have enough insurance to cover any litigation expense.
    Their waiver should also provided a prettty solid level of indemnification. Assuming the rider signed it. ???
    No mention of the track also getting sued which is interesting.
    Any track day org that starts a go fund me campaign is suspect at best.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One major difference is you don't go to Krogers and sign multiple waivers admitting it's dangerous and you accept that.

crashman likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's just silly, well, not so much if charity is how you run your business I guess. For us insurance is part of our expenses and it goes up and down some. Our lawsuit raised the liability a little but not a lot and the insurance company did not settle. They don't do that any longer because long term it costs more than fighting.

Looking at the satellite pic, it was either just out of 2 or he chose to ride off riders right which is nuts as well.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Every time I show up at the track I have spent hundreds and thousands on Beer and Liquor ....Then I spend more on Ice all weekend too..... I'm gonna sue WERA, AHRMA, N2 , STT Sue the World for my distilled mind..........

Shit its Beer :30.... Gotta go maybe next time....

mastermind and ToofPic like this.
  17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I suspected that there was a different angle to this after seeing that the lawsuits against everyone but the provider were dismissed. While I have no idea what the actual angle is, a post on BARF indicates that perhaps the rider was a danger to himself and others and should have been removed from the track by the provider long before the accident happened.

Not saying I agree or disagree or if that is even the truth, but now the reasons for the insurance company not covering this makes a bit more sense.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd be interested to find out if that's the case or not - I've never known of an insurance company refusing to defend the customer. The suit being against him directly doesn't make sense either, we're all listed as additional insured on our policy, it also covers our officials and so on.

19. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

You original view was that his 1.5 laps was enough. Now its up to a newbie to walk all over the course and assess whether there is inadequate runoff, hidden ditches, exposed pipes and who knows what else. How much time do you think it would take a new riders to walk the track to make sure its safe? How much time do you think the track org allowed new riders to do that? Do you think it was a reasonable amount of time? Hey, I'm on your side, I'm just saying that argument alone isn't likely to carry the day.

The track day rider is a business invitee (or, perhaps, a licensee), and different standards of care apply (depending on the state). Again, I don't know Cali law, but at the risk of being too general:

An owner or occupier of land is subject to liability to a licensee for injuries sustained from a natural or artificial condition if he (1) knows of the condition, (2) realizes it involves an unreasonable risk, (3) has reason to believe the licensee will not discover the condition or risk, and (4) permits the licensee to enter or remain on the premises without exercising reasonable care to make the condition reasonably safe or warn the licensee of the condition and the risk.

The possessor of land owes an invitee all the duties that he owes to a licensee and also: (1) the duty to inspect the premises and erect safeguards, if necessary, to render the premises reasonably safe and (2) he has liability for defects that would ordinarily be discoverable by a reasonable inspection and he has the duty to give a proper warning. But he is not liable to anyone for unknown latent defects, that could not be discovered by the exercise of reasonable care.

Again, I don't know Cali law, but waivers are where the protection comes from.Waivers may protect organizations from ordinary negligence, but the lines are a little blurrier when it comes to gross negligence, recklessness and/or intentional conduct. The likelihood of this defense working depends on the state and, in some cases, the judge who is presiding over the case.

Everything in degrees, right? We could make the hypothetical ditch and/or pipe one foot off the track, covered by grass, which the track and track org knew was there, but thought it would scare away riders so they let the grass grow tall so it wouldn't be seen (reckless?) ... or we could make the ditch and/or pipe one mile off the track with flashing neon sign. Degrees.

Nor does it mean there aren't safety issues either, just that tracks and trackday orgs that can and will do stupid things like failing to fix a safety hazard to save a buck (cause, heck, the riders are gonna hit something anyway, right?).

Just to be clear, I'm pro-track ... pro-track organization ... and pro-waivers.

I was just pointing out that the guy is likely trying to make out a case for gross negligence and/or recklessness.
    Because that is simple negligence. The waiver would cover that. Now it the track day org owner went out on the track during a break with a can of oil an spread it in T3, then sent you out there for the a clean lap when no one is on the track ... the waiver wouldn't apply (intentional act).

When I read it, it seems like the insurance company wants to settle, but the owner of the org doesn't because it will set a "dangerous precedent," then everyone will sue. So it seems like he is pursuing the litigation on principles ... and insurance companies won't (nor should they) pay for a policy holders principles.

wrx_02 and R1Racer99 like this.
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Possibly a limit on the payout maybe? I have no idea how those policies might be set up. But it would appear since everyone else got out of the lawsuit, that there may have been a procedural issue with the provider. I would absolutely defer to your experience though. You would you have any lessening of coverage if there was some sort of gross negligence on your part?