1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friday Random Act of Kindness

Discussion in 'General' started by I'm with Stupid, Oct 6, 2017.

1. During a week filled with horrifying news stories of man's inhumanity to man, it's easy to lose trust and faith in our fellow humans, and expect the worst.

This morning I needed to do some shopping here in the small German city where we live, so I stopped in a pay parking lot near the first store. I was sitting in the driver’s seat of the car, with my wallet in my hand, counting my cash to make sure I had enough, and preparing to get out of the car.

Suddenly, the driver’s door was pulled open from outside – no warning. It caught me completely by surprise, and my first thought was, “Damn! I’m getting robbed in broad daylight in a parking lot!”

I looked up, and standing there was an elderly German man, who explained to me that he had come to my town for an appointment, which finished much earlier than expected. He said he had a gift for me, and handed me a paid parking pass that was good for the next three hours!

Flustered, all I could do was thank him and wish him a good weekend. He smiled, walked to his car, and drove off.

I only needed to stay for a short time, so when I got back to my car I waited a few minutes and did the same, handing the parking pass to the next person who pulled into the lot (minus the yanking open of the driver’s door ☺ ).

Especially when things seem bleak, we need to remember that the world is filled with good, kind people; even in a country like Germany, where the citizens are not known for their individual generosity and kindness to strangers. We must also remember to pay forward on these small, random acts of kindness. Doing so is a reminder to everyone that there is a goodness in the world that won’t ever be destroyed by the cruelty and viciousness of the few soulless monsters among us.

pscook, G 97, HPPT and 5 others like this.
  2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Your Momma was right when she instilled you with the Golden Rule.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice. I'm sure you've said but I can not remember right now, what city you live in the DE?

4. Bingen am Rhein, which is a small wine city in the Rhein UNESCO World Heritage region. It's about 20 minutes away from Mainz. I have a beautiful view of the Rhein, vineyard-covered mountains, and the Germania monument from my living room :)

Steak Travis likes this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Jealous! Fred and I went to high school in Wiesbaden.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've been through that area. I'm usually 3 hours south when I come over, near Freiburg.

Anyways, the funniest thing about what happened is that it happened in Germany. I find that if they do not know each other they do not speak. Maybe a head nod at most. I like to just start talking to random Germans on the street or in the bar, I call it weirding out the Germans. I find it hilarious. :D

pscook likes this.
  7. We are looking at a move to Wiesbaden next year. Bingen is nice, but my career prospects are all Frankfurt-based. Don't want to live in Frankfurt - it's a nice city, but not the best place for a family. Wiesbaden is as nice as you probably remember, but expensive! Flats in Wiesbaden run in the 1M+ Euro range.

8. We Americans have the deserved reputation of being glib and insincere, but I've managed to make some German friends by doing exactly that - talking to random Germans :). It definitely catches them by surprise, especially when you can speak German.

And yeah, it was funny, but I've also learned that the older Germans tend to be fairly friendly, whereas the middle-aged Germans are world class assholes. Older Germans have a sense of entitlement (which is why the man had no qualms about opening my door without announcement), but they've earned it - they built a magnificent country.

The next time you head across the pond, let me know. Freiburg isn't that far, and I'd be happy to head down and buy you a bier (or an Apfelschorle), and talk sh@t about the Swabians around us :)

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I realize this is not politically correct, but if someone pulls my car door open, my reaction will not be good.

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Did you learn German at an early age or later in life ? I went to Germany last year and really would love to go back ASAP. I’ve been fortunate to go all over the world but Germany was one of the highlights for me

11. If I was still in Tennessee and that happened, I probably would have shot the man out of fear. I hope this shows that you shouldn't
    always expect the worst.

12. I lived in Bonn when I was young, but too many decades in English-only US degraded my language skills. I've spent the past year relearning the German I forgot.

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Was stationed in Bad Kreuznach in the late 1980's.

I miss the food.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Anybody here near Stuart's Gap, Virginia?

Saw a German restaurant near the Pilot there. Looking for a review.