1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fresh and lean attack using illegal fuel?

Discussion in 'General' started by grapemustard, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

I had a 98 750 that was a ringer. Stock spec it would pull on SS build bikes.

2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

there is a history there… first he refused to pay some of us contingencies from 99 like when he got beat at IRP… we bought his Graves tagged Hindle pipes instead of getting them direct from Canada as usual because he was paying contingency.

then he talked Keith into letting him be the distributor for all kit parts in 09… regular Yamaha dealers could no longer order kit parts… the 09 R6 ecu limited the throttle to 82%… you had to have a kit one to fix it… he didn’t order enough and nobody had any… including me… I had car guys on my team and started the entire flashing gig… and kit ecus were illegal in Supersport… but my reflashed OEM ECUs were made into kit ones…

I supplied kit ECUs to nearly the entire Supersport grid at near cost… like $250… kit was $700…

Graves had an official Supersport team… I supported Josh Day against them as he rode my Daytona Sportbike and MotoGT bikes… he won that chip… I laughed…

Boman Forklift and Quicktoy like this.
  3. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

All of them :crackup:

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I know someone that may have raced a GSXR 7/11 as a novice.....back then, you couldn't race over 750 as a novice.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Lol... I had one too. Needed a steering damper very badly. I highsided the shit out of mine....being stupid on cold tires. Broke the tip of my elbow off when I came back down to earth.... was so mad I didn't feel it while I was dragging my 3 month old bike out of the road. Felt it as my brother drove me to the hospital though. Mom was super pissed at me.... that was June 1996.... my other brother had just died running from the cops on a 95 zx6r three months before that. Sorry for rambling o_O

Shenanigans and 27 like this.
  6. 03RumbleBee

03RumbleBee Well-Known Member

Back on the fuel topic…even empty, I can still smell the 2T exhaust.

Attached Files:

MrGooch, spoon32 and YamahaRick like this.
  7. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I also remember at least 2 cbr 600/900 novice combos back then.One definitely got caught,never heard about the other

Shenanigans and gapman789 like this.
  8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I remember the day Josh got his a brand new NSR125. I was at Jennings on my 750. He came out of one behind me. Passed me on the outside into 2 breaking it in lol

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

what did they call their team? Tornado or Twister Racing? T remember the little logo on that tiny white trailer… I like that kid a bunch and was happy to help him along in his career.

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’d like to see that because those engines weren’t even close and I bet more power in that shitty flexing steel frame was a joke…

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don’t remember the 900 CBR thing. That’d be like trying to get an fzr1K into and fzr600 chassis. :confused:

27 likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

great analogy…. Not saying it can’t be done but it’d be stupid imo we all know the Suzukis were just bolt Ins as the frames were the same

ToofPic likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Suzukis were relatively easy. . . Big motor cheating on most other brands was an exercise in cubic dollars.

the Suzuki 7/11 was not easy. Everything else was near US navy jet fighter money just to lose to a lightly modded Suzuki.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I used to race with Josh in Florida when he was about 3ft tall and railing on a 125

Gino230, Quicktoy and 27 like this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When I did karts, that’s where I learned the true meaning of cheating. Kids running built $5k piston port 100cc motors in a claiming rule class (new was maybe $1k at the time) and running $100 a gallon cheater fuel.
    I made a killing threatening to claim motors and dads and teams paying me not to submit a claim. :D

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I can’t remember but remember the twister logo. I had just bought an ex hooters bike from Rick Croly and I remember Rick telling me Josh had been washing bikes since he was like 3 and had waited years to get on one. I always liked him. I was glad to see he briefly made it to the world stage from our little Jennings track.

Boman Forklift and 27 like this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

The visual differences on a 7/11 were the hydraulic clutch on the 1100 vs cable on the 750 and the 1 2 3 4 5 gears embossed on the 1100 engine cover vs 1 2 3 4 5 6 gears on the 750.

I"m talkin' direct motor swap obviously and not putting 1100 internals in 750 cases if that's even possible?

I did have a 907 kit in the '92 750 from RES out of TX before the 1100 swap....errr...I mean a guy I knew did this.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Me too, we put him at the front of the 200 grid the next year… can’t remember… second row I think, and in front of one graves bike… he got taken out by Higbee on the Buell on the start… then he was off to WSS…

great kid that I was always happy to put on my bikes and help in any way I could…

Concussions man…he’s ok now but… take care of your brains…

Quicktoy likes this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That was back when the 125GP class gridded behind the LWSB class. He used to come railing through the pack on the first lap scaring all of us diesel drivers.

TurboBlew and 27 like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When my tuner looked at the new specs, he said the new fuel will run a little leaner due to the O2 content and density. I am a little concerned about my new build, and with Daytona being the first race, I feel it's critical to test the bike with the new fuel. Also we don't have lambda sensors in the pipe because the builder says they have a tendency to blow out, so we can't monitor the A/F with the AIM.

I'm waiting for Matt to do his work and tell us if we need a new flash!

Monsterdood likes this.