1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Straightening

Discussion in 'General' started by Todd@MPH, Mar 4, 2006.

?

Ever had a frame measured or straightened?

1. Yes - makes sense to me!

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. No - its all smoke and mirrors

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Maybe - never really thought about it

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

2. a320

a320 Member

Just Talked to GMD (ATL) the other day and they said it's $150 to measure. If anyone wanted to know..

3. Oooh! Oooh! Mr. Chainsaw wants to know if that allows you to drop means testing when you make up a bill! :beer:

4. bambam454

bambam454 Well-Known Member

I had one straightened by gmd atl. at the end of last season. even as big and slow as i am i could tell the difference. before it would always turn better left than right and the tire wear was a bit off. after it turns better and the tire wear evened out some. i'd have it done again if it needed it even though it sucked having to write that check.

5. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger New Member

Yes, I wanted to know. Thanks.

Can a frame be properly checked for straightness if it's stripped bare? Or does it need to be a "rolling chassis?"

Also, would the engine being in or out of the frame have any appreciable difference in getting accurate measurements? I'm thinking along the lines of have torque plates bolted to an engine block prior to having it bored to emulate the stresses of a properly torqued cylinder head.

Thanks.

Tipsy

6. Todd@MPH

Todd@MPH Too Old...Too Slow

Computrack has to have a rolling chassis to do a measurement, other systems out there don't. Most straightening should be done with the motor installed.