1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Straightening

Discussion in 'General' started by Todd@MPH, Mar 4, 2006.

?

Ever had a frame measured or straightened?

1. Yes - makes sense to me!

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. No - its all smoke and mirrors

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Maybe - never really thought about it

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Todd@MPH

Todd@MPH Too Old...Too Slow

I recently posted a special in the "Services" section - you can read the details HERE , but I'd like to know what everyone's opinions are on the topic of frame measuring/straightening/geometry set-up.

Feel free to share your opinions!

2. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

With your new system can you take your printouts with you now? I understand you couldn't before due to your Computrak contract, but I honestly wasn't happy about not being able to take my docs with me after you guys did your thing on my frame a couple years ago.

I also didn't like the all-or-nothing approach to straightening things. Not being one of the fastest guys out there I really don't know that a small offset is truly going to impact my times and I would have liked to be able to pick some stuff to fix but not others. I do know that unless the frame is obviously bent I probably wouldn't bother bringing it in again unless I could really tell that something is out of whack on the track. I just can't afford the typical $1200 it costs to get it straightened, and I can live with a half second slower laptime for that much money. That is just my personal, racing for the fun of it, opinion.

Now, if I were actually fast and was in contention for purse money on a consistent basis then my opinion would probably be much, much different.

3. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

How much is a new frame? :confused:

4. Todd@MPH

Larry....

Yes, you can take the print outs with you, and they're MUCH easier to read and understand than the other system. It was a contractual agreement with G.M.D. that kept us from being able to do that in the past.

Also, the way the bike is worked on in the jig makes it VERY difficult to straighten one part - say a head twist - and not worry about a tuck in the front. Also, keep in mind that a small twist at the head, makes a much bigger difference where the tire meets the pavement.

Also, although your total bill was around $1,200.00 (I'm not at the shop to pull up the invoice) the straightening part was less than that. If you'd like to discuss it in detail, feel free to call me at the shop on Monday when I have the information in front of me. I'd really be more than happy to discuss it with you - we want happy customers

5. Todd@MPH

Depends on where you get it, and if its got a title. Buy an OEM frame, and you'll pay around $1,700.00. Buy one at a Salvage yard, and you'll probably pay much less, but there are no guarantees that frame is straight.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Can you please explain to me how this isn't a twisted way to advertize here? I don't want to just bump this over there with your ad if I'm missing something obvious. Thanks.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You won't get one cheaper at a salvage yard. they typically dismantle bikes & sell frame with title.

8. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Just because a frame is new, it doesn't mean it is straight.

9. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

sure it makes a difference ............. depends on how bad its damaged

but evey little crash doesnt need that kinda work for us slow people .

:tut:

10. Todd@MPH

no doubt...we've seen plenty of brand new bikes that werent' exactly "straight"

11. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

yup, i bought a new frame from Suzuki a few years back and we measured it after bolting it all together--verdict: twisted 6mm at the axle level

12. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

Todd,
    Who operates the frame straightening equipment?

13. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

The only other stuff that was on my bill was a new set of head bearings. I think that came to less than $100, including the purchase of the bearings.

When I mention being able to pick and choose what gets straightened I am talking about specific parts. In my case you guys said I had a twist in the swingarm. I forget the exact degree of twist but at the time it didn't seem like much and I was probably willing to live with that. However, my front end was definitely messed up (clamps and the whole head area). I remember at the time wanting to do the head and the clamps, but forgo the swingarm but was told I couldn't do that, it was everything or nothing.

And, just so I am clear for everyone reading this, I was not unhappy with the service. I could tell that things were different on the bike when I bolted the bodywork back together so I know things were shifted from before, especially in the front end. My bike was definitely damaged and it was either straighten it or get a new frame, or take a risk on a salvage frame. I opted to go with the sure thing and straighten it.

However, I can tell you that I suck enough that I really couldn't tell the difference riding the bike before the crash and after it. Why would that matter? Well, the bike was a salvage title to begin with and I am positive that some of the damage wasn't due to my crash. I don't think I put the twist in the swingarm. Plus my head was twisted, pushed to the left, and pulled out. With the way I crashed (I lowsided at 110 and held onto the bars the whole time, didn't let go until we came to a stop) I may have put the twist in and maybe the offset, but I am pretty sure I didn't pull the front end out. Like I said, my bodywork fit differently before the crash than it did after things were straightened so things definitely weren't 100% beforehand. But, like I said, I didn't really notice that much of a difference while riding it beforehand and after.

My crash last fall had the bike tumbling. Unless I can actually tell something is wrong then I don't plan on taking the bike in. It isn't that I think frame straightening is smoke and mirrors, I just can't afford to spend another $1000-$1200 to fix it unless it is really causing an issue. If it was an '05 or '06 and I was going for Suzuki money then I might have it looked at.

14. Todd@MPH

Thanks Larry!

I can tell you that the jig, in combination with the measuring makes it more conducive to picking and choosing what gets straightened, and what doesnt. I have yet to see a strightening bill even approach $1200 since we got the new equipment. Part of that is because the measurement is less expensive, but over all I believe that working from the factory specs gives us a better starting point.

15. Todd@MPH

The operator has very little to do with measuring system, as it is controlled by the computer and works in conjunction with the jig.

16. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

Fine. Who sets up the bike in the frame straightening equipment and operates the computer?

17. ducatichris

ducatichris Well-Known Member

These guys may be good but they are not operating a true 3d measuring system for a computer program.

Check out www.framestraightsystem.com

and read what true 3d straighting is all about.

CK

18. Todd@MPH

I'm pretty familiar with FARO from my days in the Machine Tool Industry, and its nice stuff. Looks like a nice set up, but I couldn't find any information about how it works, or what it does that makes it different.

19. 021k26rr

021k26rr Well-Known Member

I am a auto body technician (bodyman)by trade,and I do all the frame repair at our shop.We have two frame machines,four clamping systems and a laser measuring system.So I understand what it takes to measure and straighten a frame,weather it is a car or a bike.I've had G.M.D straighten 2 bikes for me in the past and I could tell a difference in both of them after the work was done.My problem (and others I'm sure) is the prices that they charge.They charge you like 300.00 bucks just measure it and tell you what is bent.It is hard to convince most skeptics to spend that kind of money when they already don't think it's bent.In alot of cases between what is a little bent from the factory and what was actually bent from the wreck they want a 1000 bucks or more to fix it.Most people don't have this kind of scratch just laying around so they do not get their bikes fixed.I know that it is a specialty profession,but I also feel like they have the market cornered more or less and charge what ever they want.I would like to see some other businesses show up to compete with them,so hopefully the competition would make it affordable for us to get this work done.I think it is a geat service,and a necessary service.Insurance companies keep body shops from price gouging and I think competiton is the only thing will make the price a little more fair to the consumer.

20. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

I think measurement is only like $150, maybe 175 I forget.

They've had plenty of competition.

Remember Traxxion had its Axxion-Arm.

Dan Kyle had his own mechanism as well.

I know there have been others as well.