1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Slider damage reports?

Discussion in 'General' started by footwork, Jan 19, 2001.

1. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

anyone have anything bad happen to their motor mounts or frame, caused by a frame slider? What about the pros/cons of frame mounted vs. motormount mounted?

2. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

If you are questioning whether or not to get them, GET THEM!!!
    They will definitely save a lot of parts. I went down twice this year and didn't even break a lever. Of course the bike did flip in the air landing on its nose, but the outcome was repairable. Nothing is going to completely save your bike, but I haven't seen anything bad happen to the bike because of having frame sliders. I did bend one of the slider frame mounting bolts on my old F3, but the frame was not damaged.

3. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

Yes frame savers are worth while,but not on every bike.GSXRS are great but in the case of the zx6r + zx9r the ones they sell for stock body work are junk!The bolt is only 6mm thick and the tab they screw into snaps off (witch is the frame)!Mine did this in a 10MPH low side,now my frame has a broken tab on the frame.At the dealership I work at we sell them and a customer installed them on his 2000 zx6r.After a very light crash (scratch on left side panel and turn signals)his bikes frame was totaled because the body tab broke off because of the frame slider!If he would not have had the frame slider his side panel would have been more scratched,but his frame tab would have not broken off.This is not tipical but just a bad design for this bike,I dont no of any other bikes myself with this problem?They do sell a race virsion for the zx-6+9 that requires body drilling but works mutch better but is still not the greatest because of the smaller diameter and length of the bolt compared to say a GSXR.I still am not putting down frame sliders,just that some bikes are not as well protected as others.

4. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

What I did, which continues to work, is drilling out the frame sliders and drilling and tapping the frame mount for an 8mm bolt instead of the (pathetic) 6mm bolt furnished with the sliders for the ZX6- ZX9.

5. Dutch2

Dutch2 Well-Known Member

I actually broke one of those ZX9 sliders off when I dropped the bike in the garage!!! And the bike actually fell on me so the drop wasnt even particularly violent! It wasn't one of my brighter "wrench" moments.

6. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

where and how do you go about acquiring frame sliders for f3's

thanks
    tom

7. rocketboy211

rocketboy211 Member

Contact Lockhart Phillips they usually carry them for all current sportbikes!!

8. rwball111

rwball111 Well-Known Member

9. EXPERT35

Stronger bolt sounds good but the frame tab it goes threw is only about the size of a nickle.It just snaps off no matter what size bolt is installed.I also would rather brake a bolt off than the frame tab,not to nock your idea though.

10. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

thanks !

11. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

I have yet to snap off a frame tab. And I have done my share of crashing. At the worst, it bends the bolts. I use the sliders available from Lockhart Phillips (Intuit?) with remarkable success.

12. EXPERT35

I guess its just the way my bike and two street bikes at my work seem to have happend.