1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by little_twin, Dec 29, 2006.

1. little_twin

little_twin Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying a frame to replace the bent one on my gsxr 750. The frame I am considering is a blank frame, was purchased to race and has never had a vin number. My question is what do you do if questions arise about the frame. Do you just keep the bill of sale with you as if it were registration papers or do you have to get other paper work to prove that its yours? Thanks in advance.

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

damn where are all the others the are normally ready to accuse you and bash you for buying a possibly stolen frame.:rolleyes:

If the frame, is in fact legit, ask the seller for a copy of the actual receipt for the frame, if he wants to retain the receipt ask for a certified copy. Make sure that you get all of his driver license info. If he doesn't have the receipt, i'd be a little leary but he may not keep stuff like normal people. Get a notarized reciept of him selling it to you, complete with ALL of his info and contact phone number. Check with your local dmv on what you may have to do to get a vin plate assigned, if at all possible.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Another thing I like to do is, take a picture of the seller holding the part with the bill of sale and any other papers in his/her hand. Kinda hard to do long distance but when dealing face to face it will make any crooked seller nervous.

4. Handicapped Racer

LMAO! Nervous isn't the word LMAO!:crackup:

5. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

If it is a blank frame, as in never been stamped - not stolen and ground down, then you will need the receipt from the initial purchase for the CA DMV to let you get it restamped with your VIN. If you can't get that from the seller you are going to have problems. Call Suzuki and talk to them, they might be able to help you get the info you need. That along with a bill of sale rom the current owner might do ya. I'm not sure how good Suzuki's customer service is, but Yamaha was a great help when I was dealing with registering my imported 2001 R1.

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

yamaha will sell you frame with no numbers.suzuki will ask for old frame before selling you one.at least it used to be like that.

7. Handicapped Racer

if you are not the original buyer Suzuki wont help you with anything, and i don't know of any DMV that "let" you stamp your od Vin into a replaceent frame, most will assign you a ac vin