1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame Integrity

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Thanks to Graves frame sliders my frame cracked in a 10mph crash on the street, what do the beeb's experts think?

[​IMG]DSC_2481 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_2482 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

1) Write off?
    2) Run the bike as is?

Bike is fully insured.
    I didn't add an option 3 (weld it) because I know even if you weld it, it will slowly start to crack again with time, or so I am told.

Bike is a Tuono.

Appreciate the insights.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Am I blind? I don't see a crack.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing ... a tiny impact dent is all I see .
    Edit : unless he is talking on the back side where engine mates to frame .. maybe a crack ?

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This is where you lost me.

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

No guys I'm talking about the crack on the lower side of the engine mount bolt hole, clearer in the second picture.

JBraun, I understand that every crash is different but I assure you the design of the sliders did not account for the slider bracket rotating from impact, if it did, they would have designed a bracket that rotates without obstruction from the frame, which is not the case. I otherwise have always loved their products.

6. Venom51

There's nothing there that would worry me. I see some dented aluminum but still don't see a crack.

By the way...are you waiting for those various other sections of welded aluminum to crack on that machine? Number 3 said you were worried about welding. Aluminum gets welded all the time.

You really can't blame that on Graves either. They only made a device. They didn't fall down in a parking lot. Take responsibility for your failure.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Grind it down to mate with the bevel on the frame and none's the wiser. Call it a personal touch.

crashman, Jedb, badmoon692008 and 2 others like this.
  8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Right because you saw the crash and are all-knowing of the circumstances that surrounded it. Appreciate the insights.

9. Venom51

"Thanks to Graves frame sliders my frame cracked"

So Graves came out and tossed a stick in your front wheel? Your words...not mine. I would say the damage is because the bike fellow over while you were riding it. Still not the fault of Graves.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think you're over reacting, looks pretty minor to me.

Prospect likes this.
  11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Part out?

TurboBlew and socalrider like this.
  12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Bike totaled. I'll give you a grand for it.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bidding starts at tree fiddy, icehole :Poke:

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's how I roll, Shemp

15. backbone

backbone scarred for life

All I'm going to say is F@CK Frame Sliders. Unless they are made like the OG ones from the 90's GP bikes where they were under the bodywork.

Prospect likes this.
  16. Venom51

Yep. Everything else is a lever sticking out of the bike. Of course his Touno would need some bodywork added to it to resolve that. :D

backbone likes this.
  17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

If it's going to annoy you every time you see it, and detract from having fun, go the insurance route and wear the costs of it. Otherwise I'd ride it as is.

Prospect likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I don't see a crack along the line (parallel to the engine mount bolt) that would be cause for concern.
    Looking at the second picture I see a small crack that is lifting up some excess aluminum from the opening.

If you really want an expert opinion, go to the Aprilia Forum and post up in the right section for your Tuono.

V4 Tuono: 2012-Now: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?89-2012-2020-Tuono-V4-All-Variants
    Tuono: 2006-2010: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Tuono-1000-R-and-Tuono-Factory-(2006-2010)
    Tuono: 2002-2005: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums...-R-Tuono-Racing-and-Tuono-Factory-(2002-2005)

I'm guessing they will say ride it.

Prospect likes this.
  19. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

Total it, buy back from insurance and spend the difference on coke and hookers.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

20. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This