1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found this bit posted elsewhere from RRW

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Jack, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=4366

Mentions Bill and Brian in there and lil Ryan Andrews. Though I've yet to meet you, Bill, I'll be cheering from afar. I always support the underdog, LOL! Nice thing about this article is that every one of these guys are genuine nice fellows. Got to meet Brian at TWS and of course I know Ryan and his dad well. I should know Mark Andrews better, he raced in the old days at the same time I was racing with CRRC/WERA. But, I never met him back then. He was running big bike stuff and I was into RDs and TZs and I guess we just never hooked it on. Bill I know only from this board and the 125GP list, but he seems like a genuine nice guy, too. Don't any of you guys that know him personally dispel my opinions, LOL.

2. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

-I will be wishing Ryan Andrews good luck this weekend and hopefully at the GNF.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia

3. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Well it was an unreal weekend. 40 125s on the grid. Brian won with Q. Wilson in second and then the 2 youngsters Scott and Ryan with Scott Moxey getting 5th after those 2 kids double drafted him. Chris Perris was also FLYING. Very talented. The top of the hill turning down the roller coaster got him on the 1st lap after a red flag.

It was a VERY good race and from what I heard it was very entertaining.

My bike was running very well all weekend until the final. Lost all top end power. Very disappointing. I am hoping I have another stuck ring. If not I need to go back to Jetting School. LOL

4. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Wow, tough luck there Bill, but that's racing. Rings must stick a lot on RSs. I had one too this year, but it was from my own stupidity. I've corrected my errors in knowledge, LOL. I saw the results posted on the GP list (I sort of lurk on that anymore). Man, tough crowd, I'd been lucky to finish in last, LOL! Well, I based that on your 10th, but if you had motor trouble, that explains a lot.

I was hoping Ryan could pull it off, but he's only been riding at this level for a little while. Last year is when he went on a huge learning curve. He diced it up with me at TWS, me on my anemic TZ, early in his 125 experience. Next thing I'm reading, he's beating Chuck Ergle at Henderson! DAMN! And the kid hadn't stopped his learning curve, either. He just keeps getting faster.

Someday, maybe I'll make it out there. I'm so broke right now, I don't think I'll be making the GNF this year either. Don't have my vacation rescheduled for it, didn't bother. I need to save some money.

Jack

5. TwoCycler

Jack,

Mark, Ben and Ryan Andrews are headed back to Texas with much stronger running Aprilia. :D Nice family.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia

6. Bill Cole

Jack, Thanks. I had some cylinder work done and it isnt working out to well. This is the second time it has stuck. I actually think it stuck in qualifying but I thought it was running a little rich. If I thought it was stuck I would have changed it.. Live and learn. Frustrating when the bike really runs strong all year and lets you down when you need it most..

7. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

Maybe you need to chamfer the the ring groove a bit more.

8. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are fun to be around. You can sure tell who Ryan's Dad is, looks just like him. They have a hell of a fast 80cc in an older 125 chassis they run in mini endurance together. Ryan is killer fast on that thing, too. I got an article published that features the Andrew's and team Speedy Gonzales in this month's issue of Ride Texas, a regional magazine. You can download a pdf file of it at http://www.texmoto.com for free, a sampler. You'll need acrobat 4.0 or newer to read it.

9. TwoCycler

Thanks Jack. I could also tell who Ryan got his riding ability from the way that Mark rode that 125 up and down my driveway! :eek: I hope to see them again soon.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Aprilia

10. qwilson

qwilson New Member

Munchkin

I wanted to see Mark ride that Aprilia in the USGPRU race! Damn kid takes up all his time!!! On our way back from VIR to Cali we stopped at my parents house in College Station. We went for a ride around TWS with the track manager. I have got it bad to race there, I hope I can get the fast lines through it from Ryan. Lord knows I helped him with the lines around VIR. I hope the USGPRU does a round there next year because it is a nice facility.
    QW

11. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Re: Munchkin

Fun place, TWS, if a little stone aged in facilities. For what they get for rent, you really should get first rate garages and stuff. But, it's my home track, been racing there for 27 years. I could help you with lines, but I'll be the first to admit, the kid is faster, LOL! I know where I'm going, just don't get there as soon. I went to school there, Texas A&M. Aggieland is like a second home. Hope you make it there. If you do, let me know at [email protected] . Hopefully I'll be off work for it. Would like to meet you. Heck, if USGPRU got a race there, I'd get vacation scheduled for it if I weren't off. I don't do the national thing, race purely for local fun anymore and can't afford all the travel and time off work and I'm too damned old to be serious about it, but I'd ante the USGPRU membership to ride there and meet all you guys. It really is a novel track and has one of the fastest turn ones that I know of. Going off in there on a big jixxer is just plain scary! I'll stick to the little stuff, LOL.

Jack

Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  12. Bill Cole

Meeting Q is worth a day off work.