1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found My Throttle Sticking Problem

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MightyDuc Racing, Feb 20, 2003.

1. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

Ya'll will like this one. If you read any of my race report stuff, you'll know that my throttle stuck several times in my first weekend at Homestead. I have sinced replaced/rerouted/re-adjusted the cables...no good. So I decided to look into the carbs (Keihin Flat-Slides), which of course I know very little to nothing about (except how to adjust float levels and change jets). Found a bunch of play in the slide on the right carb and took off the top plate cover to try to look at the mechanism that moves the slide (again, I know jack sh*t about these carbs or how they work). After about 10 minutes of watching it go up and down and hang up about 1/2 the time I started to get frustrated. Stood back a bit and my dad turned the throttle and I caught a glimpse of something moving inside the carb. Between the slide and the carb wall (thankfully cuz if it came out on the other side it would've went straight into the damn motor) was a little hollow threaded piece with a nut head on one end. What the heck was that??? Took the other carb's cover off and looked and looked and finally figured out that it was the spacer on the top of the mechanism that goes around the needle where it sticks up. Since it had fallen out...there was about and 1/8th of an inch of play in the slide so it wasn't closing. Moral of the story...go over EVERYTHING you can think of before racing because A: I could've gotten hurt really bad with a sticking throttle for a dumb reason and B: I think that piece had been loose for a long time going unnoticed, and C: What may seem to be a difficult problem to find/fix can be something incredibly simple. All I know is thank goodness it's finally fixed...now what's next to break on this damn Duc? :D

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

since you asked...if it's an older ss, '95 or so, watch the steering head area of the frame. it cracks.:eek:

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I had a similiar problem with my flatslides know that I think about it. The set screw on top of the slide would back out and would only allow partial throttle because it was hitting the top.

4. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

LOL...it was backed out on mine alright! And it has a BCM custom frame on it...so hopefully no cracking issues, but thanks for the heads-up.

5. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

wheelie

be glad you didnt find out it sticks while pulling a wheelie! (speaking from experience)

good tip on the carb parts!

/////