1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ford transit roof ac question

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 14, 2020.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I am thinking about doing a Ford Transit van and converting it into an RV. Most RV's are not practical for hauling bicycles inside so I could build it out the way I want too. I would like to put a roof AC in as the Northeast gets hot and humid all summer long when I would be using it most. question is can I run this off of a solar panel and battery bank alone? i've read so many forums on this and the answers are all over the place. I'm reading you won't get more then 5 hrs of run time off the panel size that can fit on the roof to you can't do it. does anyone here have any real experience with this.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Carrying a 2500w inverter generator and 5gal of extra gas will run that AC. You need a solid 1000w+ continuous, plus 3kw+ surge capacity to push through startup. That's a LOT of battery bank, which means a LOT of solar to recharge it in a reasonable time. A Microair soft start can help ease the surge needs a bit FYI.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a couple of EUs paralleled with an extended run tank can be had under $2300 all in. Thats 30amp power thats very portable and scalable.

4. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I'm really trying to not have to need a generator. Some campgrounds dont allow them so it makes it a pita. I can run an inverter to a 30 amp plug for power and plug in if power is available.
    I have a yamaha 2000 that I think would maybe work if I went that route.

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

No. Period. Unless You plan on spending at least $4g on lithium batteries and then another grand or more on an inverter, then no matter how many panels you put on the roof you will not run for more than 4 or 5 hours. And unless you drive it every day and run the engine with a large 2nd alternator, you will only get 1 day before that AC only runs for less than an hour the next day.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

7. TurboBlew

a 2nd yamaha and a parallel cable then. I cant imagine what kind of campground doesnt allow quiet gennys. If your transit was built as an rv it would have an onboard genny anyways. At night I cant see why 1 genny wouldnt keep the AC running.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The 2000 should be plenty, just put a micro air soft start in the AC so the 2000 can handle the startup surge.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

And that Yeti likely won't handle the startup surge, and is going to give you about 2 hours of runtime if it does... :D

rice r0cket likes this.
  10. Lavana

Lavana The coming

It will take lots of money a lot of weight and a lot of space to get what you want that’s why most people say No.

Just get a generator.

I installed a kit that supposedly allows for the small Honda to power up the ac but it doesn’t. I ended up buying a bigger generator rather than by the companion. It weighs about 100 lbs but the sprinter is low enough to pack easily.

r6fast likes this.
  11. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

So it looks like solar isnt going to work for this.
    I did however find some really sweet water tanks to go over the wheel wells so there is that.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If the kit was a couple capacitors, all you did is replace or add a 'hard start' kit, they don't lessen the surge any. If it was a box you had to program, then it's similar to the Micro Air in which case a 2000w gen should work with it. I haven't seen anything that'd let a stand alone 1000w Honda run an RV AC, that'd be some serious magic.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Lavana

Lavana The coming

You are correct I got a "hard start kit" and that didn't work and I tried it with my 2000w honda.

14. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I don't know your budget or if you have seen the prices of what these things can get to but try to price out all the things you want in them to see if what you want is possible. The build even if doing it yourself gets expensive real quick.

15. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Luckily the Van is new and HOPEFULLY will be a steal for a mercedes as I will get it at auction. There are a few of them that were being converted by a limo company that went out of business and no one bid on them the last 2 auctions.
    My brother has a cabinet shop so I can make them myself, he has a bunch of sinks laying around so they will be free as well. I can get the water tanks,pump for $650. I'll build a grey water tank out of metal laying around the farm. i'll likely build a slider that pulls out from the floor that you stand on to take a shower. Make a ring that goes between the doors and has a curtain on it so that's very little cost. i'm thinking I can build out the interior and electrics for less then $10k. Maybe I am being naive at that though.

16. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The problem is that no matter how nicely you build it out, it is still homebuilt, and will not be worth much to anyone once you are done with it. You would be much better off just buying a used one for a bit more coin that is a factory built. Once You arw done building it, it is still not an RV that anyone would buy, it is just a pieced together cargo van.

17. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

A used one with 60k+ miles on it is going to cost me $55k or so. Why would i do that when I can build a brand new one for around $30k. Sure, its home built but i've looked at some off the Factory built one's and I wasn't all that impressed. I thought about getting a Class B but I really like the idea of being able to drive it in the city and still being able to park it along the street when needed.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Buy a diesel van and get the snow plow kit with 2x alternators.

Use that to charge your bank of batteries.

19. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I've never even heard of this, I will be checking into it for sure. Thanks

tony 340 likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

be prepared for sticker shock...lol