1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford 5.4 engine cam phasers Ugh :(

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 18, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My POS 2006 F150 has developed a loud ticking. It has 144K on the clock. I tried replacing the CVTs, but no love. No change in the sound. What's the skinny on cam phaser replacement cost? I'm not gonna do this myself. Will need to have someone do it, along with the spark plugs.

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Might be your exhaust manifold(s) leaking, that engine is known for that to occur also

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I had to replace a manifold on my 01 5.4. I put up with the ticking until it was unbearable.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had that done several years ago. Its possible, I suppose, but this ticking showed up instantly during a road trip a few months ago. Also, noise is the same whether the engine is cold or hot.

5. Putter

By the time I replaced mine it sounded like a 70 Chevelle big block with open headers. :D

418 likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Mine ticked from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. How often do you change the oil and what weight are you using?

Have you had the plugs changed at all yet?

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Every 5K miles. 5-30, I believe. It used to be a very quiet motor, then one day while driving...

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have to say... for sure it does sound like exhaust manifold, but can that happen like in one day? I didn't drive it through any water, but there was snow and slush on the road.

9. Putter

Yeah, one of the studs could've broken off.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup. Mine just went last month. Downshifted on the highway and thought I blew the motor up.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The phaser issue is pretty slow to present itself. In my old 5.4 it didn't show up until about 50,000 miles and you could only hear it just off idle. Once you were on the gas it went away. I learned to live with it, as it wasn't causing any damage, just a bit annoying.

However, if your sound is really pronounced and started all of a sudden, and at all RPMs, I think that certainly sounds like a header/manifold issue.

12. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

$1500 bucks, was just in one of my customers who was doing one.

I mentioned that I'd seen a cheap 5.4 Ford truck on CL and asked what it would take if I bought it. That's what he told me.

I think there are a lot of shops who shit their way through them. This particular shop has the actual OEM tools to hold the cams in place and do everything legit.

13. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

I replaced an exhaust mani on a neighbor's F150 and it sounded like ass - leaking soo bad that it sucked oxygen IN through the cracked studs, then the O2 sensor was thrown off and the thing ran like ass too....

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Mine has started missing pretty badly too when you stomp on it. Related to cam phasers or leaking manifolds?

15. Putter

Is it throwing a code? When my leak got really bad it finally turned on the CEL and it read as an oxygen sensor, bank one I think (same side as the leaky manifold).

16. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

17. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

They are bad about exhaust manifolds. They aren't bad to get off and hopefully you don't have a stud broken flush. Even then it isn't bad. Take the manifold to the machine shop and have it milled.

18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You mentioned having the plugs changed
    If you haven't done it yet it to trucks 144,000 life be prepared for a phone call about some of breaking off in the head.
    I changed mine at 40,000 and I had to be really careful not to snap them off. Even at that mileage they were hard to remove.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like the jeep, been doing it since it was 2 or so years old. Can't hear it over tire noise or the stereo normally, just annoying at the track in the paddock.

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Have replaced plenty of those engines for oiling failures. I believe one head feeds the other or some shit like that and they were prone to cam failures on the passenger side due to it. Not saying this is your issue, definitely check the manifold situation out as well. Some shops use those thick ass gaskets that wont hold up very well, need to have the manifolds flat and a all studs in place and torqued. Getting broken ones out isn't too bad. We've found there is two ways they come out, either welding a nut on (yes even on the flush ones, spot weld onto stud to build it up enough to weld the nut onto it), OR if they just wont break free from that localized heat, you need to grind around the stud about 1/16 inch deep. Sounds stupid, however the stud has a shoulder to it and when they run them in at the factory that shoulder get pulled into the head, and that's what you need to break free, grinding that head out just a little bit does the trick. Have done about 35 or so sets so I'm not just blowing smoke. I can explain it better if you need me to just PM.

You'll def. have plug issues on something with 144k miles with original plugs. Break them free (1/8 turn maybe) put some sort of penetrating oil in the plug wells (not a lot) and let it sit for 20 minutes. Come back and use a 3/8 air impact on them and most of them if not all should come out, if not extraction isn't a big deal, just a time charge, I think we get like 15-20 minutes per each, some harder than others obviously. Cylinder 3&4 are easiest if you remove the PCM and its bracket, the rest just remove the air cleaner assembly for ample room.