1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For The Bicycle Peeps... New Bike.

Discussion in 'General' started by burner42, Oct 21, 2010.

1. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

So its raining like shit here in Dallas... new bike is ready to go... I am ready to go.... weather has me in a holding pattern... suppose to rain all freaking weekend! :down:

2. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

$9k and its not waterproof. Should have got a huffy.

3. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Your $1900 bike can go faster than a $9000 bike. Just work on your spin & pedal faster. :p

4. :D

Speed on the bicycle doesn't matter to me; i just use it as another exercise/training for racing.

5. burner42

Yeah, but at some point the lighter setup and high end components will benefit you and increase your speed and endurance, you can only spin and pedal so fast... I have graduated from $2000 bikes and increased the price of my bike with my skill level, This is my 4th road bike and each one has increased about $2k each time... I am currently and most likely ultimately maxed out on both skill and trickness! :D

6. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Back in the mid 90's we use to call them Cranken Whales cause their bikes were super heavy. They definitely have up'd there quality.

7. burner42

Holy Shit!!!!!!! I crashed my bike first ride!!!!!!!! I was at the lake, just completed my 3rd lap, 36 miles, about to cruise a fourth lap, happened to be on a portion of the loop everybody shares, usually the faster cyclist stay on the road that encompasses the lake, then there is a biking/walking/ jogging trail for slower riders and moms with strollers etc... at the south end of the lake you have to use the trail to connect from the west side to the east side of the road/trail. I was doing 17 mph as I was passing a lady on a Giant Cypress cruiser style bike, stated "LEFT" as I was approaching and she just turned hard left without looking back or giving any type of indication she was turning... cleaned us both out... Smashed both my Dura Ace Shifters ($800 to replace, snapped my Ritchey Carbon Evo Bars $300 to replace,tweaked my Ritchey Carbon stem $200 and totally rashed my arm from my wrist to my elbow, with a nice deep gash too! What a stupid ass! Who does that???? Who makes a turn without looking? It would be like driving your car with no mirrors and just changing lanes with out looking. I am so upset... Brand New Bike, First Ride!!!! I cant believe it!
    They had to call an ambulance for her, apparently she was in shock, she did not hit her head, her helmet was not scuffed or damaged... not sure what was going on with her. Should I make her pay for my damage? It was her fault? Why should I pay for stupid?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sucks but I doubt you'd be able to make her pay for a thing.

9. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I would bet that a rider who is not familiar with common verbal "warnings" would do that. She could have interpreted your statement of "LEFT" as wishing for her to turn left.......... instead of you are coming by on her left.

I raced crits for years and it was no issue with regular riders. This summer I was doing a long ride on a rail/trail conversion with friends and we had quite a few people do almost the same thing that the lady in your case did.

Sorry to hear about it. Heal up.

10. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

Oh goddamn that sucks!

That is why if I am on a trail I make a point to announce "I am on your left!" clearly and loudly. I know that is a little late now, but I bet you will make it clear for absent minded other in the future. Sucks about the bike and you for sure. Heal up!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  11. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

any time you ride a park or paved trail you have to expect someone to pull this type of crap. It happens to me once a month or so. sucks for sure, could have been worst. No frame damages?

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Sorry to hear, that blows.

That's the thing with bicycling though, shit is as dangerous as street riding.

13. burner42

Yeah, your right... I talked with a guy at the bike shop tonight, same thing happened to him except it cracked his frames top tube, tried to get the guy to pay, guy would not, it came down to take him to court and see what happens. He bought a new frame and chalked it up as a loss. Sucks having to pay for stupidity.

You would figure if your going to cycle in a public area wuth hundreds of other cyclists you would know the rules of the road... she told me after the accident she was sorry for turning in front of me, she was done with her ride and exiting the trail to a nearby parking lot where she parked... wouldnt have mattered if I said nothing...

Trust me I am always watching for dogs on long leashes, squirrels, kids, wobbly cyclist etc... this was un-avoidable, she was done riding and exitting the trail... without so much as a look over her shoulder or anything, went from far left of trail across to the far right in one deft swoop! It might have been Alex DeAngelis" mom, cuz she took me out! :D Frame appears to be ok, mostly front end damage from locking bars with her and flipping forward. The shop is checking it out for me.

No doubt! I might have to start wearing my Arai Corsair and A-Star gear for cycling!!!

14. burner42

Does'nt look that bad in pic, right shifter is destroyed, left shifter housing is cracked and twisted, bars are cracked in half on left side (tape is holding them together), stem is tweaked too... I know that bar tape is fugly... I was experimenting... was going to swap it out tonight for solid black... now I have too :D

[​IMG]

15. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

I've got some Bontrager Aeolus 50mm clincher rims I'll sell you if yours are messed up. :)

16. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Damn, just damn.:down:

I just started pedaling cuz all you fuggers "talked" me into it. I bought a pretty nice Trek Madone and my biggest fear is this happening. Only the dumbass will be in a caged vehicle. At least if I hit someone else on a bike I can lower my shoulder or make some helmet to helmet NFL shit happen!! I want them to pay for their stupid! :tut:

17. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about bikes so excuse me

what on this thing make it retail for 9k...

18. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

You honestly think it would take you 3 beers and 10 feet? I'll give you 2 beers and 5 feet :crackup:

19. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

Nice bike for sure! I just looked into getting my first Cannondale today and decided on which one I'm going for now I'm just waiting til pay day :D

Sucks about your crash. :( Hope you get something from her since she caused it and hope your arm is ok

20. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Carbon frame and lightweight high end components.