1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folks who know about BMW bikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Jul 29, 2009.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

What would you think of this bike? I have a 94 CBR1000F that a guy is begging me to sell him for $3000, so if I did that and got the price of that BMW down a few hundred, I could almost do a swap.

I'm looking at doing some touring...pretty much the type of riding that an R1100RT is made for. I want something that is capable of a little fun in the twisties, but I want to ride it to VT. from TN. next month too. To give you an example of how easy I am to please, I had a V65 Sabre with the Hondaline fairing on it a few years back, and I loved that bike...WP shock and it was great.

Anyway, I've never ridden one of these, and don't know anyone with one, so I thought I'd ask here. I know what to expect in broad terms (I know it's no powerhouse, for example) but that's about it. Stuff to look for, problems with the model, etc.

What are your thoughts?

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm no authority Dave but I have shopped for this model off and on over the years. There was a problem with a drive shaft bearing that was very expensive to repair. But I never heard a connection made on build dates, years, etc. It just seemed some developed the problem and some didn't. I'd guess by now those bikes generally have enough miles to have developed the problem or not.

3. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

DO IT You will love the BMW twin. I had an older twin, still wish I never sold it. It had over 100k on it, had a charging problem once and that was about all the problems I had with it once I got rid of the points and put electronic ignition in it. Yeah it had points - it was that old

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dave,

Panthercity has a '94 R1100RS. I'm not all that familiar with the various BMW models, but I suspect Bob would be a good source of information.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Would that be a first? :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. (diet)DrThunder

Thanks for that.

One thing that seems pretty cool is that because of all the gear that Police Motors put on them, they come with heavier suspension (good for me), HO charging systems, and even dual batteries on some of them...sounds like a pretty nice platform for touring/farkling/etc.

I'm already looking to see what absurdly huge lights I could attach to those chrome bars :D

7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I haven't been in a BMW shop for a few years, is it still part of the routine maintenance to pull the transmission out every 10k miles to lube the clutch splines?

8. (diet)DrThunder

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about...anybody?

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Couple of comments:

The R1100R/RS/RTs had no out of the ordinary final drive problems.

The R1150's and R1200's have a disproportionate number of final drive failures reported. (I do not know if this is a case of the squeaky wheel syndrome.)

For me, having come from a sportbike/roadrace background, the RS is a much more “fun” bike. Easy to surprise many a sportbike rider. Yet has carried Anna and I around about half of the US. http://www.panthercity.net/MCVac.html

The RTP’s lead a HARD life. Long periods of idle followed by WFO. The BMW shop I assist at had the contract for the Fort Worth area RTP’s. Clutches were a standard replacement item. NOT as easy a job as most in-line fours. More automotive drivetrain… Engine-Clutch-transmission-driveshaft-final drive.

Having said that, normally clutches are good for anywhere from 65~100k miles.

Since the beginning of the oilhead drivetrains, the driveshaft and clutch input shaft maintenance has essentially gone away. You do have to check the paralever bearings every 30k or so.

If all goes as planned I’ll be riding my 100k+mile 94 from Texas to Road Atlanta for the GNF. Happy to brag about her there and then…

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

L to R: My son with his `02 R1150RSA and me with my `94 R1100RSA.

[​IMG]

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Oh, and happy birthday ddt!

(and TallButt, byte me!)

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You noticed! :beer:

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've owned an '87 K100RS, '91 K1, '94 R1100RS, and an R1150RT. I didn't much care for the 5 speed twins. They had a good amount of vibration at highway speeds. The 6 speed twin was much better.

But, my Aprilia Futura is still way smoother and faster in comparison. It is just as comfortable as all of the BMW's but offers less wind protection than the RT. It also is way more fun in the mountains.

I'm also on my second Honda ST1100. My current one has 164k miles on the clock and has never been opened up. She still doesn't burn oil. Even the clutch is original.

Out of all the bikes the ST is the best for disposing big amounts of mileage and is the smoothest running of them all. I rode back from Daytona this past spring at rather elevated speeds non-stop and got low to mid 40's mpg. Smooth and comfy. Tough to beat for that kind of trip.

14. (diet)DrThunder

Yep I've had an ST myself...great bike...love the Futura too.

I've got the BMW guy to $3200. If I could find a good ST1100 for $3200 locally I might consider it. But, I have to admit I'm intrigued by the whole ex-cop thing re: ability to do extreme farkling w. the h/o charging system, and the fact that I'd be able to ride it w/o spending $900 on the suspension (like I do with every other bike on Earth).

Thanks for the input!

15. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Dave-those are good--if you get it and need a touring windshield just PM me your address we-- [www.parabellum.com] sold a lot of these to CHP officers

16. joec

joec brace yourself

call bobs bmw and ask for the service department then ask for sean. hes a bmw tech and knows a thing or two.

or you can try talking to bucky sexton. pm me if you want his number. hes the guy for bmw info.

17. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

rubberchicken is a BMW guy too

EDIT: Bob's BMW is a great shop too! Between the folks here and Bob's you'll get your answer :up:

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You're quite notable!
    :beer:

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:eek: Ohlins on th e`94. I'd forgotten how much better they are until I rode a `95 with OEM recently...

de nada. And worth just what you paid for it.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It was worth at least 5 times that.