1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ600 - worth it or hold out for FZ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by crojack, Aug 21, 2018.

1. crojack

crojack Well-Known Member

One on CL near here for cheap. I've read the FJ carbs and cams are better, but know nothing about the motor. I'm way out in the NW, so not a lot of racing with you guys unfortunately, but any help is appreciated!

FJ600 a good start to a vintage race bike?

Thanks!

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Its vintage racing...........anything cheap and close by you is a good racebike to go have some fun on.

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

If it is really cheap, get it so you can use the parts on an FZ. I think the heads are the same, but the FJ has the cams and carbs that you want on the FZ. Depending on the milaege, you can also stick the whole FJ engine in the FZ chassis if it is better than the FZ you get. The FJ 18 in wheels are nice to have around for other projects that have either 16 or 19 in fronts.

4. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Fun fact: the OEM FJ600 Dunlop front tire looked like it came out of the Dunlop triangular molds. I noticed that because I had a UK triangular on my at-the-time RD350 racebike. I imagine the resemblance ended at looks.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If you get the FJ, I have a set of Progressive fork springs.

They're the only thing left from my '84 FJ600 race bike.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

I've been desperately trying to find photos of some of those tires.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The Fj is a fun bike to ride. It is very stable and easy to get around the track. Back when Yamaha was paying money I had mine set up with a Fox shock, progressive fork springs, stainless lines, EBC pads and Metzler tires. That was it for running C production. I made enough Yamaha bucks to pay for the bike and the upgrades. If it is till available, you should get it and go racing.