1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First race weekend questions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by galloway840, Jul 3, 2011.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

A few questions to help me get ready for Grattan this coming weekend, July 9th and 10th (my first ever race weekend).

1) I've registered as a provisional novice. Do I need to sign up for specific races prior to arrival at the track, or wait till I get there?

2) I understand this weekend is a double header. Is there anything happening on Friday, or just show up early Saturday morning prepared for race school and mock race at day's end?

3) Bike is ready except for yellow race plates and numbers. Should I try to get these this week, or are they available for sale at the track?

Thanks guys and gals,

Richard

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You can sign up Saturday morning for the Race School. I don't think you need a transponder for the school, but you will need one for Sundays races.
    There is normally practice on Friday, but not sure who is providing that service. I would get your yellow plates now. I just used some Krylon yellow paint...works great. Most bike shops have numbers, you can use black tape also. The more prepared you are ahead of time the better. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't be shy, track folks are great people. Relax, have fun...good luck!

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

What class are you planning on racing in???

4. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Get number plates, Id wait to do a number. I had a number on my bike for the school/mock race that I picked, and got a new one issued when I got my offical provisional license thing in the mail. I didnt race the same weekend I took the school so not sure how they handle it in that particular situation. Id say take some electrical or duct tape and just do the numbers up in that for now.

Also Id hold off on registering for races(although I think its too late for preregistration at this point anyway). You do have to finish the mock race to make it official. Sometimes things do happen but WERA is full of great people and they did record my 2nd race weekend as being compeleted even though I laid it down (track conditions were pretty nasty and by no means was I the only person to say hello the ground).

Have fun its a great time!

5. ton

ton Arf!

the Friday trackday/racer practice is being run by Sportbike Tracktime. details on their website.

i'll be there on Friday. find me there or PM me and i'll do whatever i can to help make the first weekend go smoothly for you.

6. galloway840

I registered with WERA a couple months ago, I'm novice #246.

I think I'll sign up for F2 and V7 based on Mongo's recommendation.

In the future I believe I'm eligible for a few additional classes (B superbike, MW Solo, F40 and HW Twins Superbike), but for now I just want to experience the weekend and make it through in one piece.

I'm doing a top-end rebuild this week and am working Friday. I'd take the day off Friday if there was something I had to be at Grattan for, but having just ridden there last week I don't want to exhaust myself with another full day riding.

Thanks for the help.

Richard

7. ton

ton Arf!

since you know the track, there's no need to be there friday unless you just want the practice.

8. galloway840

Well, I've signed up for F2, but there was F2 "Novice" and F2 - "two-stroke". I picked Novice, but not sure that was correct.

I also signed up for HW Twins, only to remember that I meant to sign up for V7. Hopefully Mongo or someone can clear that up for me.

I didn't select the transponder for rent only because I remembered that WERA is treating new racers to two free transponder uses this year, but I couldn't find that information tonight.

Last thing, I need to sign up for race school, but I didn't see an option to do that. I guess I'll just do that at registration Saturday AM.

Richard

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Formula 2-stroke is not F2, it's a Vintage class so you're fine. Which HW Twins class did you enter?

You will need to enter the school Saturday morning and they'll handle everything else there as well.

10. galloway840

Mongo,

I entered HeavyWeight Twins Superbike Novice. I'd like to change it to V7 based on your prior recommendation, but I really don't know what's best.

I attended the Grattan round in May as a spectator to see and learn the classes, but due to the poor weather and weak turnout it wasn't a good opportunity to judge class size or anything since several classes had 1 or 2 entrants only.

Mainly I don't want to get run over by anything with 160hp!

Richard

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can change it at the track or just email me and I'll handle it before we send the files off to Sublet.

12. galloway840

Update

Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully made it through my first race weekend!

I won my mock race, which was a bit unfair since I've been to Grattan a dozen times for track days and the other gentleman had never been there.

I came in 2nd in V7, but there were only 2 of us :(

I came in 3rd of 6 in F2 Novice.

All in all a great weekend with no mishaps. Well, other than running out of fuel in the 2nd practice Sunday and having to push back from T9 up the hill to the paddock. Can you say "HOT"?

Met a bunch of great folks. Can't wait to do it again!

Richard

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool, congrats!

14. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

Never run out of gas..........You had a mysterious electrical problem that miraculously fixed it self in the pits. :rolleyes:

Have FUN!

15. galloway840

That's funny.

I thought about the stigma of being an idiot, but I figured the bright orange shirt would provide all the excuse I needed.

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Great meeting you. You were kicking the TZ around Grattan pretty darn well.
    Despite killing my little 250 cup bike, I had fun. Thanks to my brother for letting me ride his "b" SV I was able to ride sunday and start to figure out which way the track goes.

Eventually I'll find the right TZ and we can really play. :beer:

See you at Beaver?

17. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

my first weekend also, and yes VERY HOT!!.....good times!! cant wait to do it again

18. galloway840

Don't know what event is next, but mid-O and Beaver are reasonable driving distances so we'll see.

When do results get posted over on WERA.com?

baswicki - nice job completing the first weekend!

Thanks,

Richard

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh hell, sorry about that, results will be up on mylaps.com in a few. They will hit our site soon, not sure when we're mid server swap on that.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

That's not what I like to hear, Dave...

race the ZX-6?