1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Ants

Discussion in 'General' started by mikek, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Insert m-80 into mound.............light fuse........run.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

then get really pissed fire ants flung all over your back. :D

3. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Baffle, would you be so kind as to explain the specifics behind why you are deterring us from using this method? :D

The M80 idea sounds pretty cool as long as you have some sort of "cover" you can hide behind that will deflect all of the pissed ants flying through the air. :up:

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i think he thinks the ants travel up your pee stream like electricity. :D

5. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Well, I can say from experience the lawn mower idea does NOT work! :D

I would say put on some shorts and flip-flops, and no t-shirt, and have your buddies film while you take them out with a weed-wacker! :up: Make sure to stand to the right of the string, on the side where it comes back around toward you! :D Make sure you have plenty of memory in your video camera before beginning.

6. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

You sound like you have experience...

7. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Yes with the lawn mower, no with the weed wacker. My neighbor watched me try to take it out with a lawn mower, but it was really wide and flat, and so the blade took the top off, and basically just pissed them off. Fortunately I wasn't close enough to experience their aggression by the time they came out.

My neighbor suggested the weed wacker, and I said, "hey, why don't you give it a shot". I waited until he had the thing in hand ready to start it before I stopped him and explained the potential results. In retrospect, I should've run to get the camera... :D

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You have to run over it repeatedly over a period of time.

This is assuming a riding mower, of course. Surely you weren't using a pusher and doing that? :wow:

9. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

How about just pouring bleach in and around the mound??

10. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

21" Murray from Home Depot. I adjusted the wheels all the way down so it would cut as low as possible. I ended up tearing up the dang grass around it too. It is a fairly new mower, so it has a pretty decent flap on the back, so I knew it wouldn't spray my ankles with the little bastards, and I had the side discharge thing closed too. As for the ride-on, I'd be afraid they'd manage to climb up on it and bite my a$$.

Fortunately the mound that I have is pretty small. I picked up some diazanine(sp?) the other day, so I'm going to scalp the mound again with my mower, and then cover it with that stuff.

11. bafflebrain

bafflebrain Well-Known Member

I remember as a little kid my buddy peed on a fire ant mount for fun. Meanwhile some travelled up his pants leg and bit him you know where. How those suckers know where to do the most damage I never know.

Needless to say they swelled up like two grapefruits and a giant squash. To extract his revenge he came back armed with a firecracker - which proceeded to spray everyone one with pissed off flying ants. It was not a pretty sight.

12. Hard Corps

Hard Corps Well-Known Member

I don't have a well sooooooooooo.. I prefer to use my rock braker/digger (long really heavy piece of steel about 1" in diameter with a spike at one end and a flat wedge at the other) Anyway drive that as far down in the mound as I can get it after a couple drives in the ground fill the hole up with gas let that soke in and fill one more time. Guarenteed to work or your money back! The gas will get all the way down to the queen and all the other little bastards which will result in instant death to all the concerned parties. Move to next mound and repeat.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

They won't climb up if you don't stop. Like I say, just run over it, then come back every 5 minutes or so while you are cutting the grass and hit it again. After a few times the mound runs out of ants.

Those around here seem to thrive on poison. I may as well use honey for all the good it seems to do.

14. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Another reason i hate florida.

Btw,they dont bite,they sting you

15. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

And thank you for the correction! :D

16. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

I don't know about you Vick, but I gotta get pretty close to the ground to pee when I pee outside and I ain't putting my coochie anywhere near fire ants. :D I don't even want to IMAGINE how much that would hurt. I got bit, oh I mean stung ;) , by fire ants once when I lived in Houston. My foot got so swollen I couldn't wear a shoe for a week.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - you said coochie :crackup:

18. RacerGirl117

I was being nice. Don't get used to it. ;)

19. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I remember a couple years ago at TGPR, a certain female stepped on a very large fire ant hill and was hopping around. Avery Clark made a comment that I still laugh about today. Kith, you remember, right? :D

20. RacerGirl117

Oh good lord...just tell us already!