1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiberglass cutting, drilling ?????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ddub, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ddub

ddub Well-Known Member

Lookin for some ideas on the right(best) way to drill clean holes , and cut away to fit frame sliders ? Thanks for any help !

2. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

Dremel moto-tool type tool you can get various drills cutters etc.

3. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

use a small drill bit to mark your center. a hole saw isnt a bad idea, just be careful using it that it doesnt take off on ya and rip that fiberglass up. other than using that. i would suggest still using a small bit to mark your center. then draw out your circle, and use a dremel.

4. oldbackmarker

oldbackmarker Active Member

If you can get at it from both sides, hole saw half way through from each side. There is usually a slight mismatch but that is much better than the torn out fibers where it breaks through. Then get some resin from your auto parts store and use a little to paint the inside of the hole.

Most of all, wear a good dust mask.

5. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

capt holio

Unibits are the only thing to use for any hole up to about an inch diameter in fiberglass or C/F. A Unibit will make a perfectly clean hole every time and won't break out the fiberglass like a regular drill bit does. For larger holes, hole saws are great if the center is dead on. The bad thing about hole saws is that if you miss- you'll be screwed and the hole will be in the wrong place. I like to dremel out the larger holes, take my time and work up to the size, it's good to have the freedom to move the hole if I have to.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Use a hole saw and start from the OUTSIDE. A Rotozip works well for "freehand" trimming (it's basically a big Dremel).

7. ddub

ddub Well-Known Member

Picked up a uni-bit (kinda salty$$) so that should give me some clean holes ... we all like clean holes :p , also got a dremel cutting bit , its for cutting tile , should work for the trimming(frame sliders) Thanks for the help and ideas !!!

8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Uni-bit is the only way to go. $20-$40 bucks at Home Depot.:) Not sure if they make one big enough for frame slider holes if they do it'll cost a mint. Uni works great for fairing bolt holes.

9. ddub

ddub Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything bigger than I bought, 7/8 , ya I couldn't afford a bigger one !!!!